Friday, September 29, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: September 29, 2017 Edition

Well, honestly, I've been racking my brain all morning to determine what I could call my favorite things from this week. Basically I've had my head down in my laptop all week with writing and other than that it's been orthodontist appointments, picking children up, dropping children off and trying to understand what my dog wants when he whines at me.

WHY CAN'T DOGS JUST SPEAK ENGLISH? It's 2017, for the love. This doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable request.

Anyway, I did think of some things, so that just goes to show you that even in a boring, task-filled week, there are always things to bring you some joy.

Here we go.

1. A TShirt I Need



Well, I think my future self will definitely find this tee a favorite. I don't need to say much about it because it pretty much speaks for itself. Suffice it to say, I'm gonna need this shirt.


2. White Barn Cranberry Woods Candle



As a person who tends to tap out all of her feelings and thoughts on a blank computer screen - even those thoughts that never get posted - I can have periods of time where I spend hours, if not days, in my head without truly connecting with other people, especially women. Oh, I'll have texts here and there and some phone calls, but my girlfriends and I are in a season where everyone is busy and we have a hard time finding moments to sit face to face. Well, a couple of girlfriends and I found one measly hour to sit and chat this week and that one hour was truly a gift to me. We were able to cover news about all of our kids. And do you know what? It sure is a blessing when you have women around you who truly, deeply care about your kiddos. We all have the capacity to keep more than our own children in our hearts. As I left that coffee date, I felt so grateful for that. We were able to laugh and share and even cry a bit. And we did that by looking into each other's eyes, not by sharing over a phone screen. So, connection with friends is on the favorites list this week. And you're thinking, "What does that have to do with a candle?"  Well, I am a huge fan of candles and all the while we were chatting this one was burning. I've found that White Barn candles always keep their scent when you burn them, so go get one of these. Then invite your girls over. It's good for your soul.



3. Ellie Holcomb's You Loved Me Best



I've mentioned before that I downloaded Ellie Holcomb's Red Sea Road album and I love so many of the songs on it. This one hit me particularly hard this week. My friends and I are at an age where grief and loss, if they haven't shown up on our doorstep yet, are closer than ever before. I have prayed often lately for friends who have lost a parent. There have been a number of friends in the past few years who have lost their spouses. And I have walked through divorce with a few friends as well. Even if we haven't endured a journey of loss yet, it will come for each of us. This song is such a beautiful reminder of how we are held and loved in those seasons by the One who will always love us better than anyone on Earth every could. Even those who can boast the most loving, attentive, forgiving spouses, parents and friends? Those folks are still human. The love of our Heavenly Father cannot be matched. No matter what season we find ourselves in, let's rest in that love. What a gift.

4. All in All Journaling Devotional: Loving God Wherever You Are 
By Sophie Hudson



I have long been a fan of Sophie Hudson. First of her blog and podcast and then of her books. I might have mentioned this journaling devotional before, but I have just recently been working through it. It is aimed at teen girls and I will tell you that if I had a teen girl in my home I would buy her this devotional in a hot second. Her tone is conversational and sweet and funny and therefore, really easy to read. Honestly, I'm not sure I've found a more truly enjoyable devotional, so you do not have to be a teenager to benefit greatly from the way the Lord speaks through Sophie. I think most of us grown women still have a good measure of our teenage selves hanging out in our hearts most days. Bonus: The book itself has a beautiful cover. It is just a lovely thing to hold in your hand.  

5. Sunset at the Ballpark


"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies above proclaim His handiwork."
Psalm 19:1
The Lord can find us anywhere, friends. Even at the point when I've been sitting in the parking lot waiting for 30 minutes past the time practice was supposed to end so I hop out of the car to stomp up to the field to see what the heck is the hold-up, for the love, because I am starving and the Texas game starts soon. Then I see this and realize that, well, that's what the hold up was. God wanted to show-off.

Have a great weekend, everyone!


Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: