Wednesday, November 27, 2019

What's Up Wednesday: November 2019 Edition



1. What We're Eating This Week


All the Thanksgiving stuff, of course. But it's only Wednesday and I've already baked two of my Mom's pound cakes because the boys eat them so fast. Here's the simple recipe. 

1 box of Golden Butter Cake Mix
1 small carton of sour cream
4 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 Tablespoon Butter extract

Mix it up. Grease a bundt pan with Crisco and sprinkle with flour. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. If you have three boys, repeat.

2. What I'm Reminiscing About


Thanksgivings at home in Texas with my parents. We feel so grateful that Drew made the high school freshman basketball team and we're so excited for the season, but that means the 5th year in a row with no travel during the holidays. I miss my people so much.

3. What I'm Loving


My Movie Buddy. :-) Joe was able to come home last Thursday for Thanksgiving so I've been loving having him home and getting the chance to spend time one on one with him. We've already seen A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Ford vs. Ferrari. (Four thumbs up for both!) Monday night we went to a church event together and we even sat at a bar and had an adult beverage together for the first time ever. This summer he'll be away for an internship, so I know these days of having him home are fleeting. I'm so glad for any hours he spends with me.

4. What We've Been Up To


Basketball season has begun and I'm so excited about it I can barely stand it. Our first scrimmage was last weekend and I practically skipped into the gym. It's been a long wait since last season's magical season that I will never stop thinking about ended at the state championship. I'm looking forward to watching Drew's freshman team and also cheering on Kyle's old teammates on the Varsity squad again. Those boys have some unfinished business. :-)

5. What I'm Dreading


The fact that my pants won't fit at the end of this week.

6. What I'm Working On



Being more like Mr. Rogers. If you haven't seen A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, run and see it. Actually, don't run. Mr. Rogers didn't seem to be in a big hurry. Just walk. With someone you love or someone you don't. Just see it.

"We get so wrapped up in numbers in our society. The most important thing is that we are able to be one-to-one, you and I with each other in the moment. If we can be present to the moment with the person we happen to be with, that's what it's important." - Mr. Rogers

7. What I'm Excited About


Getting this kid home. I got this photo of him Monday night when his dad finally had grabbed him and clearly the boy had already talked him into buying him a gigantic steak. As I write this they are on the road home. Clear eyes, full house, grateful heart.

8. What I'm Watching


I've been watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix and it's a really sweet and fun. Unlike the news which is super-not sweet and fun. Lord help us.

9. What I'm Reading


This book is not easy to read at all. In fact, at one point, when Stevenson recounts the story of a 14 year old put in an adult prison I had to put it down for a minute because it was so painful to read. It's really, really good though and so important.

10. What I'm Listening To


Since we saw him in concert last week, I've been listening to a ton of Eric Church including this song which hits you right in the "Parenting Young Adults is So Flippin' Hard" gut.

11. What I'm Wearing


This poncho from Loft Outlet is on sale right now and since I don't have access to Joey's Thanksgiving pants from Friends, I cannot think of a better thing to wear this week when I plan to eat all the things. I have the black one, but I might need the oatmeal-colored one, too.

12. What We're Doing This Weekend


Football watching, basketball scrimmaging, food eating, family togethering.

A note to my Texas Longhorns: I will never leave you. Everything stinks right now, but I love you forever. I'm just saying that a win would be extra great this week since my big brother went to Texas Tech and he will text me all manner of obnoxiousness if we lose. Also, please don't jump offsides. Okay? I might yell a lot if you do. I'll still love you though. But, please don't.

13. What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month




14. What Else is New



I've got an article up at the Northern Virginia Travel Baseball League's site this month celebrating the lessons the Washington Nationals taught us this season because I WILL NEVER GET OVER IT.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Friends! I'm so grateful you stop by here. 

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever"
1 Chronicles 16:34

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Just Mercy is still one of the most powerful books I've ever read. And I'm off to read your Washington Nationals article!

Natasha said...

PS. I LOVED your article :) From a Jays Fan who was cheering for the Nationals

Joanne said...

Sorry you won't be able to make it home for Thanksgiving but kudos to your son for making the team!