Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School Day #2: In which I find time to ramble and either overuse or underuse commas, I can't be sure.

Y'all.

It is such a good thing that I am not going to middle school today because I have a giant zit on my cheek.  Really - it is enormous.  And there is not a bottle of that blue Noxema astringent that my sister and I used to share or a tube of Clearasil to be found in this house anywhere which I imagine is great news, in and of itself, since none of our real age middle school people have needed it yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you in on that because I keep thinking about middle school and how everyone says how awful it is and how so far so good here, but the other shoe might drop any minute.  Most of the stories I hear are about girls, but I know that boys can be the bulliest of bullies, too.  I hear stories about girls texting other girls awful things and I think,  "surely, that can't be real?" Then I have a friend tell me straight up that she is just hoping that no one calls her daughter "fat" today because it has happened before.  For real.  And that makes me want to punch someone in the face.  (which I'm pretty sure is not What Jesus Would Do....*sigh*)

Good news is that as of now, I do not have to restrain myself from punching anyone because it is Day #2 of school and this house full of kids did A-OK on Day #1.  No one got stuffed in a locker.  No one got lost.  No one peed in their pants or threw up on the three and half minute bus ride to school.  And that would be due to the fact that Experienced 8th Grader Joe reminded Newbie 6th Grader Kyle to go to the bathroom before they left.  So after that item was checked off the list, they started out the door and Joe yelled out in his best Friday Night Lights Coach Taylor voice:

"Clear eyes, full hearts, empty bladders...CAN'T LOSE!!!"

Because really, in our family, if you're in a pinch and you can't come up with a verse from the Holy Bible right quick, you just go ahead a quote a coach - anyone will do, fictional or otherwise.

My first day started with a little pow-wow breakfast and a mimosa with a group of mommies which was great.  There were a few tears here and there and lots of laughing and a bit of prayer and then we all went to the pool and did cannonballs.   Just kidding.  We all went to do laundry or go to work or to pick up more school supplies.  And I realized how important it is to have at least one friend.  Just one.  A lot of friends is great.  But, everyone should have at least just one, right?  And I know that in that middle school and in that elementary school down the street, there is someone who needs just one.  Each of my boys has lots of friends.  They are blessed, but I hope they could be brave enough to find just one more...just one more who might need just one.  So, I've linked to this article before and I feel like everyone in the universe has read it, but in case you haven't, read it now and then print it and then fill in your kid's name and read it to him or her.  Glennon seems to be just fine with that.  This is brilliance right here.  I admit that I put a lot of emphasis on grades and performance and behavior and perseverance and working beyond your potential.  Maybe this year, a little less of that which is all focusing in and a maybe a little more focusing out with compassion and inclusion and courage. 

And to my Adam, whose name was Larry:  Again, I'm sorry I didn't ask you to sit with me at lunch.  I'm sorry I didn't stand up for you.  I wasn't mean to you.  I didn't make fun of you.  I might have shushed someone who did, but that wasn't enough.  I can see you now, sitting in your desk in Mrs. Cutler's third grade class, but I can only remember your profile.  I know why.  It's because I don't think I ever looked you in the eye.  I'm sorry, Larry.  I will try to teach my kids to be braver than I was.  I promise.

An update.  It seems Glennon of Momastery has moved out of our area which means fortunately for her, she won't have to deal with people stalking her at California Tortilla.  If you live in Florida and run into her, for heaven's sake, wipe the guacamole off your face and go say, "Hi".  I don't know her at all, but I have a feeling she wouldn't mind and she's got some big things in store...it'll be exciting to watch!

Another update:  I am wondering, as a new blogger, if it's okay to link to someone else's blog.  I'm hoping that I don't get into big, fat trouble for admiring someone else's words, but I guess I could.  So, the gal from Momastery, who like I said, I do not know, doesn't seem like she'd mind so much, but if she does, I'd like to say for the record, "Um, I'm sorry.  I didn't know. Please don't sue me or anything for just being a big dummy.  Ok?  Because I was never even sent to the principal's office in my whole life and if I would've been, I would've definitely peed in my pants.  So you can imagine what would happen if I'd done something illegal and I didn't even know it." 

No comments: