Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer Lovin': 2013 "It's About Time" Edition

Summer has been playing a little hard to get.  In the past week or so, we've had torrential rain and clouds which caused some general malaise and pouty-ness in the Skinner home during the first weeks out of school.  And that was mainly from me.

But Summer is BACK today, people.  And I know this for sure, not just because it is going to be 90something degrees and sticky and hot today, but because my people are all up in my grill all day long everyday.  (Thank you Jen Hatmaker for yet again, giving me a phrase I will wear flat out this summer.)

Here are some Summer Favorites for 2013.

Grilled Shrimp Salad from Zoe's Kitchen
Last year I was on a Panera Veggie Sandwich kick and I'm still a huge fan, but I'm kinda, sorta, trying (not very hard) to be gluten-free and Panera is not helpful in that arena.  This salad has grilled shrimp, zucchini, greens and feta and an amazing dressing.  The Tabouli Salad is also RIDICULOUS.  I'm pretty sure those salads are gluten-free, unless there's something about orzo or the Greek yogurt dressing that has gluten in it and in that case, just forget it, Elisabeth Hasselbeck.  I'm out.

Cute Beach Towel
Look, people.  There is just no way I'm going in the direction of what you should wear to the beach or pool.  Swimsuits are a touchy subject around the 'hood right now because I'm telling you something.  The lifeguards have to show some iron-will to keep their eyes on the kiddos in the pool with some of the bikinis walking around in suburbia.  I will, however, say that no matter your age or your body type, a cute beach towel always fits.  THIS is an adorable Towel/Backpack from Nordstrom.  Just my size.

Naked Juice
Juice seems very summery to me, especially green juice.  If  you're keeping score, yes, I bought that Mr. Juiceman juicer a while back.  It's all stainless steel and shiny on my kitchen counter and makes me appear healthy and organic.  I used it once.  In the meantime, I found Naked Juice and THIS is my favorite.  It really fills me up and makes me appear all healthy and organic.

Farmers Market
I haven't been able to make it out to our Farmer's Market yet because I've been too busy drinking Diet Coke and eating concession stand food at baseball games, but there is nothing better than a Farmer's Market and as soon as I go, I might just get all healthy and organic with my shiny juicer.

Sunscreen
This has to be an obvious summertime favorite, but can you believe the gazillion types of sunscreen out there these days?  It's insane.  When I was little my mom put Coppertone #4 on me and then after the inevitable sunburn, we moved to white zinc oxide on my nose.  Very attractive. Last year I included one with shimmer in it and this year I'm going all mature and responsible.  Look, those sprays do not work.  I have to hide Drew from CPS when I use those.  THIS "Wacky Foam"* seems to work better. 
*A Warning:  According to our product testers (i.e. the lovely and talented Mrs. C.) a certain child got some in his ears and apparently it feels like a million pop rocks going off in your head!!!  Ain't nobody got time for drama at the pool.  Keep it away from the ears.  

Patterned Shorts
I'm a fan.  I don't care if some fashion guru tells us that patterns and/or stripes on your bottom make it look bigger.  He might be right, but he's not the boss of us.  Look how cute these are from JCrew where there is 25% off today.  These and these are also cute.
Summer Reading

Beach/Pool reads are the best. 
If you are a blog reader, here are some I recommend:
Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle of Big Mama Blog
A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson of BooMama Blog
7:  An Experimental Mutiny on Excess by Jen Hatmaker
 
For heavier reading:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
That New One by the Guy Who Wrote the Kite Runner ?  (I bet it will be good, yes?)
 
And right now I'm reading Cleaning House: A Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement by Kay Wills Wyman
 
MMMMHMMM . . . oh yes, I am and I gotta go because one of the best things about summer is that I have three strong, able-bodied boys all up in my grill and there happens to be some laundry to do, some weeds to pull and a deck to be pressure washed.
 
Later Skaters, got to wake some kids up and rid Skinner World of youth entitlement.  Happy Summer!
 

No comments: