Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Summary of Stitch Fix - First Box


On my husband's side of the family there are eleven nieces and nephews and nine sisters and brothers and in-laws.  Or something like that.  I really can't keep up.  Anyway, so that we don't all go flat broke during Christmas, we pick names out of hat so that we are only responsible for buying one gift.  This year I hit the jackpot when my sister-in-law, Stephanie, drew my name.  She had the most creative, cool idea for me.  She gave me a gift certificate to Stitch Fix.  If you have a friend or a mom or a sister who loves shopping like I do, this is a great gift.  Or if you have a friend or a mom or a sister who hates shopping, this is even better for her because she still has to wear clothes for at least part of the day, right?  I mean, unless she lives in a nudist colony.  In that case, a gift certificate to Stitch Fix would be a terrible idea.  It would just seem very judgey.

I had heard of Stitch Fix but wasn't quite sure exactly what it entailed until I took my little gift certificate and went online.  This is the gist:  you fill out a survey answering questions about your style tastes, size and amount you normally spend on different items.  Combinations of outfits are pictured and you rate them as something you would love, like, or hate.  You pay $20 for a stylist to pick five items for you based on your survey and then those five items are shipped to your door.  Once you get your box, you have three days to try on your items and decide what you like.  If you choose any of the items, your $20 is credited to the total.  You then send back the items you don't want in a postage paid envelope.  If you buy all five items, you get a 25% discount.  I was so excited I could barely stand it.  I just thought that sounded like more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

The very day that my Stitch Fix box arrived I read a post by Anna over at An Inch of Gray reviewing her box.  I thought two things.

1. WOW.  What a coincidence!  and
2.  WOW.  I am going to totally copy her and write a post about my box, too.  Aren't fashion and plagiarism awesome????

Fake Daughter was busy doing something like studying for the SAT or planning her mission trip to provide clean water in the Third World, so I invited my friend, Nancy, to come over and we poured a couple of glasses of wine and I started my fashion show.

It would probably help if I had pictures of me actually wearing the clothes, like Anna did, but she is a legit, brilliant smarty pants writer.  I am not even a good plagiarizer and I forgot to have Nancy take pictures and also, WINE.  So I took photos of the clothes on a hangar later which really doesn't show you that one of the most impressive things about the Stitch Fix stylists is that they did an excellent job with sizing.  Almost all of the items they sent fit perfectly.  I was stunned.

Here's the thing though.  When I received the box, we were right on the heels of Christmas and Husband's head might have exploded right along with the credit card if I would have chosen all of my items. I am a fan of having a husband with an intact cranium, so I was determined to be very picky. 

I will say that honestly, I could have chosen every last thing in my box if my Money Tree wasn't sort of in a dry season right now.  I really would have.  Here's a breakdown of the cute stuff I found in my first box.

Item 1 was called the Savannah Dolman Top by Laila Jayde.  It was green and had a skinny stripe (which you can't really see in the photo) GREEN and STRIPES!  My first thought was that this stylist must be my best friend.  I was *this* close to keeping this one.  The material was so soft and I can tend to be a little fussy about fabrics, so I do think I would have worn this a lot, but because of my massive will power, I sent this one back.



Item 2 was the Cleator Tie Front Blouse by Daniel Rainn.  I really liked this a lot.  It fit perfect and was totally my style.  The only problem was that it was so much my style that I already have something very similar in my closet so I couldn't justify keeping it.


Item 3 was the Chase Open Knit Sweater by Olive and Oak.  This was the only one that I knew for sure I wouldn't get pretty much right away.  I didn't hate it and I was really pleased that they paid attention to the fact that I indicated in my survey that I could not wear wool.  It was very soft and not itchy at all.  The fit was perfect - not too tight and not too bulky.  In the end, I am just not a huge fan of the colors, so this was a no.


Item 4 was the Catalina blouse by Daniel Rainn and this one was the keeper.  I love the style, the colors, the fit, the whole thing.  I wore this twice while we were in St. Thomas.  Once with white skinny jeans and sandals and once with black twill shorts.  I can even wear it this winter with a black cardigan or jacket.  LOVE.  

I didn't get a photo of Item 5,  the Patrick Denim Trouser by Level 99.  I know that Anthropologie sells Level 99 or you can find the website HERE.  I don't see the Patrick trouser anywhere, but I can tell you this.  They fit great and they were as soft as pajamas.  I'm not even kidding.  They aren't even called pajamajeans.  They just felt like them and I think we all know that I am a fan of the pajama since I still had 14 pairs of pjs after I cleaned out my drawer and gave away enough pairs to clothe a small village a few weeks ago.

Anyway, Stitch Fix is so fun.  And really it's an awesome and unique gift for anyone.  My next box comes in March, so I'm going to go water and fertilize my Money Tree right now, so that maybe I can buy the whole darn kit and caboodle next time.  

If you think you'd like to try it, go to the site and sign up.  By the way, they don't pay me or anything to say this.  I just thought it was a lot of fun, so if you do sign up you can give them this referral link  https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/4559584,  and then I'll get a $25.00 credit on my next order and then you'll be my new best friend.  Unless you live in a nudist colony.  I'm not judging, it's just that I really couldn't invite you over to drink wine and watch my fashion show.  I have boys.  It would be weird.  Sorry.  

No comments: