Tuesday, January 19, 2016

It's FREEEZZZIIINNNGGG Daybook: Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Outside my window:
It is bitterly cold. So cold that the kids had a two hour delay for school and there is not a drop of snow or ice on the ground.
I am thinking:
That I will be making the transformation from Elle Woods in Legally Blond to Leo DiCaprio in The Revenant about every three hours today as I take Mack outside. This part of the puppy thing: Not a good time.

Before I walk the dog when it's 20 degrees

After I walk the dog when it's 20 degrees
I am thankful:
for healthy children.
In the kitchen:
there is a crockpot and a cookbook next to it. It's weird that those two things don't seem to be making dinner happen all by themselves.
I am wearing:
jeans, long sleeve black tshirt and these shoes from Banana Republic in a camo fabric which I got for $21.99 when they were originally $95.00.  SCORE. *Update:  they don't seem to be offering the camo online, but you might be able to find them in the store.*
I am listening to:
the washing machine spin and The Today Show. Trump, Sanders, Cruz, Clinton, blah, blah, blah.
I am going:
to try not to listen to the reports that we could have an epic snowstorm here this weekend. In most people there is great excitement about this, but for me there is great panic.
I am reading:
Audacious by Beth Moore
I am hoping:
that some time very soon - like tonight, maybe? - my little puppy dog might sleep through the night. Please, oh please, oh please, sweet Jesus, please.
I am looking forward to:
Lots of watching this guy on the court this week.

I am learning:
that my mental state is much more negatively affected by my lack of exercise than is my physical state. I have to bundle up and get out there or get to the gym. I'm turning into a crazy person.
I am praying:
for way too many parents of children with cancer whose biggest concern is not when their puppy will sleep through the night but whether their children might live to have a graduation, a first crush or even a first day of school. Please continue to pray for the Rhoades family and so many others.
On my Ipod:
Exhale by Plumb
I don't know about you but I tend to put an enormous amount of pressure on myself at the beginning of the calendar year. I generally don't make specific New Year's Resolutions because that never really works out (see 2014's Giving up Diet Coke resolution which lasted 17 miserable days).  Still, I tend to have high hopes for having the most organized house, the most nutritious meals, the most committed exercise plan and the most successful writing career every year. I heard this song on the radio yesterday and I think it might be a good mantra for 2016.  Just EXHALE, friends.



I am pondering:
the immense power and the amazing grace of our mighty God and how He manages to speak through the fingers of a regular ol' sinful, spoiled girl sitting at her laptop. I have received numerous emails and messages regarding a blog post I wrote about four year old Kate Rhoades who was lost to cancer last week. I am humbled and stunned to see that it has been read by almost 7,000 people.  This is not my doing. To me it is clear that this is not simply a matter of a gift or talent or social media power. There is no person on Earth, no keystroke made by human fingers that could offer any solace, any hope, any way to assuage grief so profound. I appreciate very much the outpouring to Kate's family and any awareness of the cause of pediatric cancer that my words might have brought, but what I'm pondering and what I know with absolute certainty is that if my words brought even the tiniest amount of comfort or hope to anyone, the thanks and praise should solely and completely be attributed to our good and loving God.
A quote for today:
“Nothing can make up for the absence of someone whom we love…It is nonsense to say that God fills the gap, He doesn’t fill it, but on the contrary, he keeps it empty and so helps us to keep alive our former communion with each other even at the cost of pain…. The dearer and richer our memories, the more difficult the separation. But gratitude changes the pangs of memory into a tranquil joy. The beauties of the past are borne, not as a thorn in the flesh, but as a precious gift in themselves.” - from Ted Schroeder in this article 
A verse for today:
"Fear not for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10
One of my favorite things:
My sister who celebrated her birthday yesterday;  the same day that I read this on Twitter:  "Surround yourself with people who are better than you." I was blessed to be surround myself with someone better than me for the first twenty or so years of my life when God gave me this sister. Even though we aren't physically together as much anymore, her spirit is always around me. She is a much better person than me and her light in my life makes me so much better.

A few plans for the week:
basketball watching, dog training, walking, feeding and playing and please-God-no-snow praying
A peek into my day: 
I'm taking Mack to the vet just for a regular check up. And, if you must know, I had to collect a fecal sample from him to bring with me. This is apparently a routine type thing I have to do. This part of having a puppy: Not a good time.

But a sleepy puppy finding a sliver of sunshine in which to sleep?


This part of having a puppy: A very good time.

No comments: