Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Ides of March Daybook 2016

Outside my window:
It is grey and drizzling, but the sun is supposed to come out just in time for the first pitch for my big boys tonight.[Update: Sun's out, but no games. Fields are too wet. Blah.]
I am thinking:
about the fact that my husband is either the sneakiest guy around or has the best luck in the world because when he had a business trip to LA this week, he just happened to check the UCLA baseball schedule and they just happened to be playing my Texas Longhorns. It was actually purely a coincidence and/or Jesus loves him a whole lot. A WHOLE LOT because look at the photo I got late Sunday night. The legendary Coach Augie Garrido and my team singing The Eyes of Texas. I was just so jealous I could've spit nails.

I am thankful:
for people who step up with enormous generosity without blinking; in fact, without even being asked. In volunteering for Kyle's Kamp for Pediatric Cancer for the past few years, you would think I would be able to control myself when I see the selfless ways that businesses and people offer to help. We are planning numerous Kyle's Kamp Dreams Games to raise awareness and funds for Children's National Medical Center at my sons' high school in April. I contacted a tshirt manufacturer to see about pricing for creating a special tshirt for the baseball team to wear and sell. Before I could even finish talking the gentlemen on the phone offered me shirts free of charge. I started crying right there on the phone like a gigantic dork.  All that to say:  Hard Hits in Manassas, VA. Go there and give them your business. They are good people. And as an added bonus, they don't even laugh at the emotional lady who is sniffling and sobbing on the phone over a bunch of tshirts.
In the kitchen:
I scored some Shamrock Ravioli at Costco yesterday just in time for St. Paddy's Day. All I have to do is boil water and I am "Mom O' the Year".

I am wearing:
Under Armour French Terry Joggers (which in my case should be called "Sitters and possibly, but not likely Walkers" today, this Texas Home tshirt, Nikes
I am listening to:
The Today Show. Shirley Maclaine just cursed on live tv.
I am going:
to have to speak to the manager of my local grocery store. I cannot find Brawny Pick A Size Paper Towels on the shelves any more. I know well that the Gospel of John reminds us that "in this world there will be trouble", so I'm trying to handle this without losing hope in the goodness of the world. This had me thinking. I've always wanted to write a book and I've often thought that the lack of significant hardship or tragedy in my life thus far has really limited me in that regard. Well, now. I might have found the cross I have to bear right in the aisle of my grocery store.
I am reading:
I have read NOTHING. I've been trying to finish Audacious by Beth Moore since Christmas. The book is great, but I just fall in bed dead tired lately and can't bring myself to read. Also, I blame the IPhone. I can be Judgy McJudgerson about my teens and their phones, but I am getting as bad as any teenager. I'm so sick of feeling attached to that darn device. If you don't get a text reply from me, it might be that I have just gone all Anne Hathaway on my phone.


I am hoping:
that if I can't get myself to read, I will at least punch up some movies On Demand during Spring Break next week. I want to watch Room, Spotlight, Burnt, Brooklyn and The Intern. 
I am looking forward to:
Spring Break 2016. Sleeping, college visiting, sleeping, hanging with my guys, ignoring my phone and social media, sleeping and Easter Sunday. 
I am learning:
Drew asked me the other day if most people in the world were good and I am learning that I believe the majority of people are generous and good and loving and purposeful and dignified and compassionate. We just don't get to see those folks on TV all that much.
I am praying:
I wrote down 27 names on my church bulletin of people who desperately need to feel God's presence, healing, direction and miracles Sunday morning. There are more than 27 for sure. And there's me. I'm praying for the whole kit and kaboodle today.
On my Ipod:
This song was sung the last two Sundays at my church. Which meant that for two Sundays in a row I was streaming tears through the whole thing. Just beautiful.



I am wondering:
about how I couldn't remember exactly what was significant about the Ides of March except something my Honors English teacher, Mrs. Shannon, told us when we were reading Shakespeare, and maybe the need to beware and maybe Julius Caesar, but likely not Romeo and Juliet. Basically, I was pretty sure that it meant more than "two days until St. Paddy's" so I googled it and the first thing that came up was a George Clooney movie. And this is why we are a bit behind, America. [Update: A little scrolling reminded me that it's the day of Caesar's assassination. Nothing to do with Little Caesar's pizza. No, not at all.]
I am pondering:
about 75 different shades of grey (the color, not the book), refacing fireplaces, configuring built-ins, countertops, cabinets, backsplashes, window treatments. I haven't mentioned it here yet, but my people and I are moving. Just around the corner, so no big adjustments except that means decorating decisions which make me get a perpetual eye twitch. I am  trying to breathe deep and imagine that I am Joanna Gaines and then I find myself dreaming that I accidentally did something like this:


A quote for today:
 Drew and I love Kid President. I wish he was running in 2016.

A verse for today:

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. - Psalm 34:17
One of my favorite things
:
March Madness. Hook 'Em Horns.
A few plans for the week:
Planning for the Kyle's Kamp Dreams Games for Pediatric Cancer. If you're in my area on Thursday, April 7th or Friday, April 8th come out to Freedom High School in South Riding and watch some great games, see some amazing children battling cancer and support pediatric cancer research and patient care at Children's National. LAX is Thursday night and Softball, Soccer and Baseball are Friday night
A peek into my day:
Take me out to the ballgame! [Update: A peek into my tomorrow.]


No comments: