Friday, July 1, 2016

5 Things on a Friday: It's JULY!!!

Hey, y'all!

It's Friday! It's July! It's a Friday in July! It's the Friday before the 4th of July! This is a big ol' deal! It's 5 Things on a Friday in July! Here we go!

1. Happy 4th, Y'all Napkins



I bought these napkins at World Market. They make me happy because I love combining America and a uniquely American vernacular with a handy paper product that will wipe up various mishaps that occur at weekend events that celebrate America.


2. God Centered Mom PodCast: Conversation with Jennifer Clouse



THIS episode of Heather MacFayden's God Centered Mom podcast absolutely blew me away. First of all, it seems that all of these people are from Dallas and the accents just make me so happy and settle my soul. Secondly, I have read Melanie Shankle's blog for years and Jennifer Clouse is one of her best friends. If you read Melanie's book, Nobody's Cuter Than You, you read some about Jennifer, and if you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it. Anyway, the entire podcast is wonderful. Jennifer is facing terminal breast cancer with a faith that is so inspiring. There were two parts that were my very favorite. When she mentioned holding our children loosely so that God can direct their paths which reminded me that ultimately it is God who will decide how these kiddos turn out, I had to stop my walk and sit on the curb for a bit. Also, the discussion of heaven is what really got me. It's just a beautiful perspective from someone who is facing death with such hope and faith. Let me just say this: lots of shoes without the sin of materialism. That's all I have to say. Just listen to the podcast and you'll get it.

3. Giddy Up, Eunice: Because Women Need Each Other by Sophie Hudson



Sophie Hudson writes one of the most endearing and hilarious blogs on the web. Giddy Up, Eunice is her third book and it is such an encouragement and so darn funny. I so appreciate a believer who can make me bust out laughing as she describes important moments in the Bible. For example, in discussing how women - at least as depicted in "reality" tv - can be relentlessly competitive, she mentions the grace with which Elizabeth, miraculously pregnant with John the Baptist in her 60s, receives her young cousin Mary's news about her own pregnancy. If rewritten for tv in 2016, Sophie imagines that Elizabeth might respond a little differently:

"Hey, Can I maybe just have A MINUTE to enjoy this pregnancy thing, and feel, I don't know, SPECIAL? Because, here I am, IN MY SIXTIES, feeling like a miracle because I'm finally having a baby, and then you walk up here all BOOM. JESUS. SAVIOR OF THE WORLD? That's a well-played trump card, sister. Good thing I enjoyed the spotlight before you snatched it right off of me."

Y'all. I had to put the book down I was laughing so hard. As funny as it is, this book also has made me cry and think hard about relationships with women across generations. It's a great read.


4. All the Sales for All the Things!!!


Friends, all the stores have lost their minds with all the sales on all the things. 

Loft is offering 50% off with code JULY4TH. I love their patterned shorts.

Anthropologie is offering 30% sale items with code EVENBETTER. I bought this dress for full price earlier this year because I loved it so much and now I'm filled with regret because it is waaayyy on sale now. I have actually worn it a ton, so I maybe I feel okay about it. Kinda.


JCrew Factory is having somewhere between 15% and 50% off and I can't even figure it out, but use the code HAPPYSALE and just see what happens. I will be purchasing this outfit for Fake Daughter and she will wear it to all the 4th of July parties.  



5. Best Summer Beverage Ever


I've heard all kinds of different names for this drink, but we tend to call it the AllStar Baseball Beverage around here. It's perfect for your 4th of July party. I'm pretty sure that Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin drank this all the time when discussing the fight for independence.

1 container of frozen pink lemonade
3 LIGHT beers
3/4 cup of vodka
ice
THE END.

Happy 4th, Y'all!!!

No comments: