Friday, March 31, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: 3-31-17



Well, first let's just say that it is raining and cold and miserable and I'M OVER IT. Spring. Let's go. Come on. On the hop. Pull the lead out.

On second thought, it is raining and cold and miserable and I thankfully don't need to be anywhere so I'm going to look at that as big blessing.

It's all about perspective which brings me to my first favorite on Friday Favorites today. Here we go.

1. Kate Merrick on The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey


I know I can't seem to stop mentioning Jamie Ivey's weekly podcasts, but I am hooked. The women she interviews have so much to offer which makes me realize that we all have something to offer to each other. This interview with Kate Merrick from last week continues to stick with me. I listened to it on the treadmill, but I intend to listen again and take notes. I also plan to buy her book, And Still She Laughs: Defiant Joy in the Depths of Suffering. The discussion about the tension between perspective and comparison was a huge light bulb moment for me. I have a lot of grieving friends. It can be incredibly annoying and even hurtful when those of us who have not walked the journey of grief offer counsel and suggestions for what might be comforting to those for whom comfort is so far out of reach. I don't know if this will help any of my friends, but I think it's worth a shot for those who grieve and for those who will grieve. That'd be every last one of us. 


2. Funny Stuff on Social Media (Hey! There's an idea!)

For most of the end of 2016 and the beginning of 2017, I think we all noticed a huge spike in angry, fearful, insulting posts on social media. That's why I am overjoyed when someone posts something delightfully ridiculous. Because again, PERSPECTIVE, people. 

I saw this recently and I'm not sure if it will make you giggle as much as it did me, but I thought it was hilarious. Sometimes it's the littlest thing that can make your day start off right and this did it for me. Only one of my kids understood it.

I sent this to more than one girlfriend.



This little girl mistook a broken water heater for a robot. A friend of mine shared this on Twitter and tweeted "we should approach more things like this". Amen. If this doesn't make you smile, I don't know what can.

3. Spring Dresses

Spring is being very flaky about showing up here in Northern Virginia. One day we think its staying and we're pulling out the flip flops and the next day this is how you'll find my girls and me as we watch our boys play baseball:



Still we know Spring's gotta make up its mind to stick around soon. Besides Easter, there are many occasions in the Spring that might require a fun dress. A graduation party? Mother's Day? A bridal shower? (just in case you hypothetically have a niece for whom you sure would be excited to get some news. Again, hypothetically) Here are a few ideas for your real or hypothetical events.


Apparently, Victoria Beckham is starting a line at Target. I know, the world is weird sometimes. Her line doesn't launch until April 9th, so I don't know what the quality is like, but I thought this was cute online. It's a pretty spring color and looks promising.


This is clearly a skirt from JCrew, not a dress, but when I saw it on a model paired with the matching top, I thought it was a dress. It's adorable. It would also look great with a tshirt of denim button down.



This cute thing is from Loft and they are having a crazy sale as usual. Let's just say you should never buy anything full price from Loft.

4. Lovely Day by Bill Withers

In keeping with the "it's all about perspective" theme today, I will tell you that this is what our lovely day will look like in my neck of the woods.


That means I'm going to crank up this song which I downloaded within about 5 minutes of Justin Timberlake singing it on the Oscars. Again, if this doesn't make you smile, I can't help ya.




5. Quotes to Change Your Perspective on an Ugly, Rainy, Lovely Day


Author of Bird by Bird 

I've been doing a lot more reading of inspiring authors and listening to writers on podcasts this year which is giving me all manner of go-to perspective changing quotes to write down in my journal. Here are some good thoughts for your day.


"But here's the thing about worse case scenarios. They are powerless against an all-powerful God."
- Heather Avis 

"The obedient soul redefines who she is through God's eyes and any hesitation to do what He asks fades away."
-Lysa TerKeurst

"When we get to heaven Jesus is going to say to us, "I entrusted these little human beings into your hands whose lives will have an impact for eternity. How were you the hands of my love for them? How were you the words of my love for them?
- Sally Clarkson
Author of Different: The Story of an Outside-the-Box Kid and the Mom Who Loved Him

"Go and find what it is that inspires you, go and find what it is that you love, and go do that until it hurts. Don't quit, and don't give up. The reward is just around the corner. And in times of doubt and times of joy, listen for that still, small voice. Know that God has been there from the beginning-and he will be there until the end.
- Chip and Joanna Gaines
Authors of The Magnolia Story

Happy Friday, Friends!

No comments: