Wednesday, July 26, 2017

What's Up Wednesday


I'm linking up with Sheaffer Told Me To The Larson Lingo and Mix and Match Mama for What's Up Wednesday today.


What We're Eating This Week

As our crazy baseball schedule/concession stand/bar food diet ended last week, we've been pretty good about eating healthier recently. We've also been really diligent about eating a ton of ice cream because while nutrition is vitally important, SO IS HAPPINESS. Speaking of, if you need a good reason to eat ice cream (as if there are any bad reasons) go to Dairy Queen tomorrow and they will donate to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN.



What I'm Reminiscing About

That Facebook thing that shows "On This Day" photos each morning is killing me this month with all of our baseball memories. I've been reminiscing about my many summers with my many boys of summer. I'm going to need a minute (or a month) to get over the end of Little League.

#15 2011
#2 2012
#8 2015

Coach 2011

What I'm Loving



I got this weather app, WTForecast,  recently and it cracks me up. This is what it said Sunday afternoon around 5:00 pm when the humidity was at about 7,000% and I thought it would be a great idea to go for a run.

What We've Been Up To

The two youngest have been at basketball camp for the past two weeks, so it's given Joe and me an opportunity to spend lots of time together before he leaves in 23 days. (but who's counting?) We have done a bit of college shopping together and by "a bit" I mean about an hour total. Suffice it to say that shopping with a boy for college turns out to be about as exciting as clipping your toenails. He is maddeningly agreeable and pretty much says "Sure, Mom." to everything I pick out. There seems to be no interest in twinkly lights, monogrammed pillows or fabric covered bulletin boards. This was what we picked up on our one and only trip together to Bed, Bath and Beyond. Dear Fake Daughter: Can you even believe this?



What I've Been Working On

I'm working on trying to enjoy the slower pace of summer without the pressure I put on myself to be productive every minute of the day. I'm not great at "chill", but I'm working on reading more, getting in the pool with the kids more and just in general being still more. So I guess I'm working on not working.
What I'm Dreading

I don't want to say I'm dreading taking Joe to college because he's so excited and he's ready and the ability and maturity to start his own life with his own dreams is exactly what every parent wants for their kid, right? But I'm kinda dreading it.

What I'm Excited About



Our local swim team hosted a Swim-A-Thon for Kyle's Kamp to benefit Children's National Medical Center for kids with cancer last week. Mr. Hahne, Kyle Hahne and I got to go out to speak to the team and watch them swim for a bit. I was stunned that some of them swam for an hour straight which is about 58.5 minutes longer than I can swim laps. I get to attend their banquet in a few days to thank them for the money they raised. Kyle's Kamp continues to give opportunities for kids to help kids and I'm so grateful for it.

What I'm Watching




My friend, Nancy, suggested this documentary about a group of recent college graduates of Texas A&M who take off on an adventure riding wild mustangs from Mexico to Canada. All of my guys and I watched it together and really enjoyed it. It is a compelling story with breathtaking scenery, beautiful animals and information about the dilemma in the western states of managing the mustang population. Oh, and it's got Texas cowboys. What more could you want?


The Joy of Summer 2017 for me will always be Parks and Rec. This show has my whole heart. There is not one character I don't adore. And this episode when Tom and Donna go shopping was a real inspiration and quite timely as I watched it just before the Nordstrom sale started. 

What I'm Reading


I received this new devotional by Sophie Hudson - one of my favorite bloggers, authors and podcasters - over the weekend. It is written primarily with teenage girls in mind, but since I am often a teenager in my mind, I think I'm going to love it. This would make a great gift for girls going off to college.


Perhaps I'm in a state where I really need some devotion time because I'm also working through Consider the Lilies which I mentioned last week. It continues to be a true gift for me in this season of my life.



I started this novel last night and after only a few chapters, I know I will love it. I am so in awe of this author right now, I want to devour every book he's written. What a talent.

What I'm Listening To



I've spent an enormous amount of time in the car this summer. Podcasts are super helpful for making road trips bearable. I listened to a number of episodes of Shauna Niequist's Relevant Podcast and especially was struck by this interview with Dierdre Riggs. Then yesterday, I ran into a friend who was reading, The Road Back to You, and remembered this fascinating interview with its author. [For you, Meg! :-)]

What I'm Wearing

I haven't been too impressed with Gap in the last few years, but I stopped by the Gap Outlet recently and found some some really cute things for massively discounted prices. I bought this jumpsuit for 70% off. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it online now, but please enjoy this selfie that I took to send to my sister. I had to cut off my head because I looked like a full blown idiot and can only bear to share a half-blown idiot with you, dear reader. Similar Gap Jumpsuits that are on sale and also an extra 20% off with the code MORE are here and here.



  I also bought this top



What I'm Doing This Weekend

For the 2nd weekend in a row we have not one thing planned. Not one sporting event. I don't know what universe we're living in, but it's pretty glorious.

What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

We'll have a weekend with my husband's dad's side of the family and I cannot wait as they are some of the most precious people in all the world to us. Then all of my Texas family - including the Texans that live in California - are coming for a week at Lake Anna and I am beside myself with joy about it. I never get a better night's sleep than when I can lay my head on my pillow and know that each of the people I love most in the world are falling asleep under the same roof. It's going to be magic.

What Else is New

Because of the fact that Joe has been less than thrilled about the shopping portions of our "Let's Get Ready for College" outings, I've had to entice him with lunches out. Yesterday, after a shopping trip that lasted about 16 minutes to get him some clothes for the cold winters in State College, PA, we ended up at Elevation Burger. I'm not sure how much longer I can expect to eat like an 18 year old boy and still fit into my clothes, but I'll keep at it because this time with him is so precious it makes my eyes sting with tears. Dear Summer of 2017, please slow down.


Question of the Month: What's Your Favorite Thing About Summer?

Having these knuckleheads around all the time. 


The Knuckleheads-Summer 2009



No comments: