Friday, September 15, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: September 15, 2017

Hi, Friends. We made it through a full week that felt like an eternity, right? It's time for my 5 Friday Favorites for this week. Let's get to it so we can get to the weekend. :-)

1. A Guitar Serenade by a Boy and his Dog


Drew is taking Guitar in 7th grade this year and I am beside myself with excitement. I have dreams of him playing while I sing a soulful, tear-inducing rendition of Dust in the Wind followed by a version of Whiskey River that would make Willie Nelson proud. But for now, I've settled for a very impressive Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star during which our dog, Mack, loses his ever lovin' mind. And last week while I was taking a bubble bath, Drew sat outside the bathroom on an overturned laundry basket and played a few tunes for me. I'm thrilled as I think music is one of the greatest joys in life. I'm crossing my fingers that he'll stick with it.


2. If It Wasn't For Texas



Speaking of music, we watched a bit of the Hand in Hand Benefit for Hurricane Relief the other night and I had to rewind this song with George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Chris Stapleton, Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen three times. I've never heard it, but it made me smile and tear up and also swoon just a bit because MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY.  Dude, you are the coolest guy on the planet and it is so obvious that you are well aware of it. It can kind of make us roll our eyes, but don't go changing, man. We can't quit you and we never will.

PS Don't forget that this recovery is going to take years and years. Please help if you can. I listed some ways to help HERE.

3. Some Whole 30 Approved Recipes That Don't Taste Like Broken Dreams and Despair
Notice: This is not my photo. It's not my recipe. Check Out this IG page for great stuff.

I mentioned last week that I'm kinda, sorta, but not really doing a Whole 30 plan in September. That is to say that I'm eating according to the plan, but I'm laxed on the drinking portion of this plan, so I'm really not doing it right. I didn't stop Diet Coke until September 9th, I'm still having a tablespoon of chemical-laden creamer in my coffee every day and there has been a half glass of wine on occasion. So, I'm not really doing it, but I am doing my version of it because I LIVE IN AMERICA, y'all. . . also known as the land of the free and the home of the International Delight White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Coffee Creamer.

I've been cooking a ton which has my family wondering what in the holy heck is happening around here. In any event, here is one of my favorite recipes from this week. I got it from the Whole 30 Recipes Instagram feed. If you've read here long enough you are well aware that there is no chance I could come up with this myself.

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/3 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2 T Ghee
1 T Coconut Aminos (I know. What the heck? It's some kind of substitute for soy sauce. Another strike for me. I used soy sauce)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne 
4 small baked sweet potatoes
Whole 30 Compliant Ranch Dressing (I used THIS)

Place chicken in slow cooker. In small saucepan combine hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and cayenne. Stir together over medium high heat until ghee melts. Pour sauce over chicken and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to crockpot and toss with sauce. Leave on low until ready to serve.

My kids and husband ate this on sandwich buns with about a tablespoon of blue cheese dressing like normal people should. I ate it on the potato like an idiot, but it was still good.

4. Fall "Work Out" Clothes


Gratefully, we are still having mostly warm summer weather here, but cooler days are coming and that means it's time for some lightweight sweatshirts and pants to keep us warm when we're working out watching Netflix or composing an inspirational essay weeks before the deadline  watching old Youtube videos of Texas Longhorn Hero Vince Young's touchdown run in the final seconds of the College Football National Championship game ten times in a row.

I think this Gap Hoodie is really cute and I really like the mesh at the bottom. It comes in three color combinations and everything is 40% off at Gap with the code DEAL I feel like I should alert you that when you go the Gap Home Page you will see a huge photo of Cher and some guy I should probably know, but don't recognize. I don't know why, but seeing a big giant Cher at 6:00 am this morning was unexpected and a little alarming to me. Nothing against Cher. I was just a little startled, so I thought I'd let you know.



I've heard so many great things about the Aspire Ankle Pant from Athleta. My friend, Jen, and I went to the store yesterday and they didn't have them there, so I ordered them online and I'm hoping they live up to the hype.


I also bought this Ultimate Side Knot Tee which is described as Beyond Soft and I can assure you that is not false advertising. Yes, it's a bit pricey for a tshirt, but if you're like me you put it on as soon as you walk in the door, wear it all night and end up just leaving it on and sleeping in it. This is how you get your money's worth. You're welcome.

5. Curefest For Childhood Cancer



Curefest for Childhood Cancer is this weekend in Washington DC. You can find the schedule of events HERE which will include a rally, candlelight vigil, walk, entertainment, and opportunities to meet some of the strongest parents and children you will ever meet in your life. On Sunday you can walk along the mall and get acquainted with various organizations who help fight the fight for these brave children by stopping by booths set up all around the area. I am not able to attend this year, but if you make it down there look for my friends at Kyle's Kamp and say Hi. This weekend looks like it will be a gloriously beautiful one here in Washington DC. I assure you that the weather will be far out-shined by the people you will meet downtown that day.

Bonus #6. Shameless Plug

I am so grateful to have had my writing posted on two different sites this week. If you missed them and/or are trying to avoid working today you can find one of my pieces HERE at Arcola Methodist Church's website and another HERE at the Northern Virginia Travel Baseball League's website.

Have a blessed weekend, Friends!


1 comment:

Lisa C said...

Look on The Kitchen's website for more Whole30 recipes that don't taste like sawdust. I found some good (and easy) ones. We did a loose Whole30 in July and since then haven't had dairy or bread (my weakness) in the house. We're making an effort again (starting yesterday). Thank goodness my husband does the dishes because all this cooking....!