Wednesday, September 27, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: September Edition




I'm linking up with Sheaffer Told Me To The Larson Lingo and Mix and Match Mama for What's Up Wednesday today.



What We're Eating This Week

I'm in the last week of the Whole 30 program and so in my kitchen there are vegetables, chicken, eggs, Lara Bars and a huge amount of frustration and boredom because I am OVER IT. There have been some definite benefits for me with this program and my cravings have not been too terrible. It's just that as of this minute all I want is a giant cheeseburger and a Diet Coke. Perhaps that's because although I have avoided restaurants and drive thrus for most of this month, I just drove my kids through Chick-Fil-A after an orthodontist appointment and the only thing I ordered for myself was an Unsweetened Iced Tea. It was the one of the saddest moments of my life.

What I'm Reminiscing About


We are starting Drew's 13U fall baseball season with basically the same group of kids he's played with since he was 7 years old. Facebook can be a maddening place at times, but when the "On This Day" posts pop up, I love it. I have come to love these boys who are now moving into their teenage years as my own. Whether they are eating all the food in the house, playing tackle football, having diving contests in the pool or playing darn good baseball, I can't help but picture them as seven year olds. I am so grateful for these little "baseball bros". They are a joy.

What I'm Loving

Podcasts. I've mentioned them before here, but listening to Podcasts is the absolute best way to get through errands or laundry or a two hour drive to a baseball tournament in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm loving quite a few of them including: The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey, The Popcast with Knox and Jamie, For the Love with Jen Hatmaker, That Sounds Fun with Annie Downs, and The BigBoo Cast.

What We've Been Up To


Lots of work continues to be done on our house. We are having a screened in porch built that is just about completed. We're looking forward to fall days watching college football out there. I'm pretty sure my husband will live there until December.

What I'm Dreading

Not a darn thing.
What I'm Working On


At Kyle's Kamp we are gearing up for the 5th Annual Gavin Rupp Open which will be Monday, October 2nd, so as I do every year, I'm working on getting a volunteer schedule together. We have so many people in our area who were inspired by Gavin's story and who come out to help every year. When these people show up year after year, I know that though his life on Earth was short, his presence and influence are never ending. There is no doubt that this boy's life made and continues to make the world better We'll be raising money for the Sib Strong Program which supports siblings of cancer patients. If you're interested in what that program is about, I wrote about that it HERE.

What I'm Excited About



My 30th high school reunion is coming up in just over a week. It is completely bananas that it has been that long since I shamelessly walked around in public wearing stirrup pants and purple eyeshadow. I cannot wait to see my people in my hometown again. The three above plus a few other ex-cheerleaders would appreciate your prayers that we don't get carried away and try to reprise our routine to Prince's Kiss that we learned at Cheerleading Camp in 1986. I'm not saying it's logical or mentally or physically healthy, but we aren't necessarily accepting the fact that we aren't still 18. I could foresee this as a problem when we attend our High School football game. 

What I'm Watching


I have bitten off more than I can chew in trying to watch the entire series of 30 Rock before it leaves netflix this weekend, but I'm giving it my best shot. I dream about Liz Lemon and Tracy Jordan pretty much every night. 

What I'm Reading


I listen to The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey Podcast every single week. She has her first book, If You Only Knew: My Unlikely, Unavoidable Story of Becoming Free coming out in January and I'm thrilled to be on her launch team. I just received the book earlier this week and I'm so looking forward to reading her work. 

What I'm Listening To


I rarely buy an entire album on Itunes but I got crazy and bought both Ellie Holcomb's Red Sea Road and Nichole Nordeman's Sound of Surviving. Both are so, so good. I will warn you though, you will need to wear waterproof mascara when you listen because you'll cry.

What I'm Wearing


I can tell you what I'm not wearing. These boots. I've basically been wearing shorts and flip flops because it's been like the middle of summer all the way through September here in Northern Virginia.  Dear Fall: Dude, stop messing around and focus. You're up. On the hop, man. My new boots from the Nordstrom sale aren't gonna wear themselves.  

What I'm Doing This Weekend


We decided at the last minute to go to visit Joe at Penn State and I am trying to remain calm about the whole thing. I haven't seen his face since August 18th which if you do the math is going to be 42 days and that is absolutely ludicrous. I am going to have to use all my will power not to run at him like a maniac. 

What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month

Don't tell Summer I said this because I do have undying love for heat and sun, but I'm looking forward to fall weather. Virginia is its best self in the fall. It is a glorious time. Also, the aforementioned boots.

What Else Is New


The only thing that is new around here is my search for something to replace Diet Coke in my life. My newest attempt is the orange flavored La Croix. It's a pathetic substitute, but it's working for now.

Bonus Question: What Fall shows are you most excited about?


Duh.

Have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

Lisa C said...

Just a warning - I loosely followed Whole30 during July and then August 1 went to a birthday party. I had a very small piece of ice cream cake and almost got sick. While I know you want a huge cheeseburger - me, too - slowly work yourself back into it. Otherwise, pat yourself on the back for a month well done! Just wait until your only child moves 8 hours away! And he's happy there! Ha. Good luck!