Friday, October 20, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: October 20, 2017 Edition

Yesterday I thought it was Friday the entire day, so today seems weird.

You're welcome for that compelling introductory sentence. My apologies to Mrs. Shannon, my senior English teacher.

It's time for 5 Friday Favorites!

1. Whole 30 Approved Chicken Salad


I am officially done with the Whole 30 program, but I did notice that there actually are some benefits to your body and your spirit when you eat real food. (duh.) So even though the end of my diet Coke ban has gratefully arrived, I've been loosely following the program in the past couple of weeks. In fact, there were 3 out of 5 days this week that I did not have diet coke. If you read here before you know I never was perfectly compliant anyway due to the fact that the diet coke ban lasted only 22 days and not 30. Also, I had some wine and coffee creamer on occasion because I don't hate myself.

Anyway, I've been making this chicken salad a few weeks in a row and I have it for lunch almost every day.  First, you have to make the mayonnaise which is super easy, but you need to follow the directions in the link I provided perfectly. The rest of the recipe I got from my mom at some point. I don't know if she made it up or what, but it reminds me of her when I eat it, so it makes me really happy. 

Whole 30 Mayo (I got the recipe HERE)
About 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 eggs, boiled and chopped
1/2 cup ? (I don't know, maybe a handful or 2) halved raw pecans
A bunch of fresh dill, chopped
2 slices of dill pickle, chopped (There are certain pickle brands that are Whole 30 approved. You can google it if you're not on the "whatever" plan like I am right now)
Salt and Pepper

Mix it all up. Think of your mom. Be happy. (If the thought of your mom doesn't make you happy, I'm sorry about that. Go ahead and think of my mom. She's awesome. I'm lucky.)

2. L'oreal Infalliable 8 Hour Pro Gloss


I know I tend to have a favorite lip stick/gloss/balm about every other week and that's because I might have a problem with purchasing things such as these. I, however, can honestly claim  this one as a favorite because I've used it for years. The Coral Sands is practically colorless. It does have a pretty shimmer though, so it can be used alone or over a deeper color. And who doesn't need a little shimmer?

I suppose the correct answer to that is no one, actually. No one needs a little shimmer, I guess. Let's move on to what you do need today.

3. Dani & Dannah




Y'all. These girls are singing my song. And the 2nd one? I'm dead. Pretty sure #don'tcalltyrone will be trending soon.


4. We're Going to Need More Wine
by Gabrielle Union


Ok. To be honest I can't really claim this book as a favorite of the week yet because I just picked it up yesterday. I did, however, hear an interview on the radio with Gabrielle Union this week. Before I heard it, I knew very little about her and afterward I felt like she would totally be someone I could hang out with. I also find that memoirs have become some of my favorite books to read. I think every one in the entire universe has a story to tell and Union's is very compelling. She spoke about a brutal rape she endured when she was working in shoe store at 19 years old. She was also funny and smart. I think this will be a great read.

Speaking of memoirs, I just finished Amy Schumer's The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo and although I turned red and found myself covering up the pages so my people wouldn't see the language, I did find it pretty funny, pretty smart and even at times, pretty sweet. Again, if you are offended by a little language don't read the Schumer book because there's more than a little. In fact, if you're offended by a whole lot of language, I'd steer clear as well. I just feel the need to reiterate this one more time: THERE'S A LOT, A LOT, A LOT OF LANGUAGE, 'kay?



5. Farm Girl Flowers



One of my favorite feeds to follow on Instagram is Farm Girl Flowers, a company out of San Francisco.  If you want to get away from vague and/or political and/or annoying posts on Facebook for awhile, go find their Instagram page and I promise it will make you so happy. The photos are beautiful. I can also vouch for the fact that if you order for delivery they will come looking exactly as you hope in that cute burlap sack. 

Speaking of Instagram and all the other social media outlets, if you don't follow me on social media, you can now do so by clicking on the Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or Facebook icons on the top right of this page. I can't promise a lot of interesting things, but I can promise no anger, no vague finger pointing at people who are on my last nerve and no profane language. Unless the Texas Longhorns lose that day and then disregard all of that.

Have a great weekend!

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: