Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Ghouls, Goblins, GIFs and Game 6

Well, it's Halloween and I'm having a little anxiety, but it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm sure there will be a plethora of creepy clowns walking around tonight and that it will take all of my power to resist eating every peanut M&M on the planet.

Actually, I'm having all kinds of feelings and they all have to do with Game 6 of the World Series tonight.

It took me about four cups of coffee and a nap to recover from the big bowl of crazy that was Sunday night's game. It is my opinion that the best thing that has happened to championship sporting events in the past few years is the invention of the GIF, Twitter and text chains. I stayed up until 1:38 am EST watching Game 5. None of my people stayed up with me, so all the while I was participating in three different text chains, sending GIFs and checking Twitter and laughing my rear end off with my brother, my parents and my son, Joe, who was watching in his dorm room. It was so much fun that on Monday morning I was basically like this:



I didn't care one whit about the Houston Astros until a week ago. It doesn't matter though. Once the World Series starts every baseball fan has to pick a team, so because I'm a Texan and our people in Houston suffered so much with Hurricane Harvey, plus the fact that I have lots of good buddies in Houston, I had to pick the Astros. But let's be clear. All of that stuff pales in comparison to the main reason that I have taken a front seat on the bandwagon for the Astros and that's this guy.


Baseball Fans, I'm telling you the truth. If you aren't watching Jose Altuve play baseball, you aren't living your best life. I think he is the MVP, not of just baseball, but of all of the world for 2017. As my grandmom would say, "Ooooo. I declare! Look at that boy. He sho is showing out." 

Due to our mad GIF searching skills, my brother, my dad and my son and I were able to relay the gamut of emotions we were feeling during what seemed like a 15 hour game in an instant. I laughed so hard at one point that I woke up my dog. 

Altuve ties it up with a 3 run homer?


The Astros player makes that crazy good play on the bunt to get the Dodger out who was trying to score?



Dodgers tie it up in the 9th?


And also:



When we knew we were in for extra innings, it was 1:00 am so Joe sent me a text that said "Class tomorrow?"


Eventually, when most of us were sure that we would never go to sleep again, there was the walk off by Alex Bregman in the 10th which happened at 1:38 am to bring the Astros the win.


At that point, I was so tired, I could barely see, but I tapped out a "Good Night" message to Joe and he sent me this in response.


Here's hoping you have a fun, safe Halloween and an equally fun and safe Game 6. Do yourself a favor, baseball fans, and find your GIPHY app because it makes a 57 inning baseball game a delight. In fact, even if you're not a baseball fan, but perhaps need some help expressing your feelings - I'm not a psychologist - but I think the GIPHY app is a useful tool.

Also, come on, y'all. Just remain calm. I mean, please, relax. It's just a game. 



Go Astros!!!

No comments: