Friday, December 8, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: December 8, 2017

I am so happy to see Friday this week. It's been a fun, busy time around here which has left me little time to write. Mostly, it's been a lot of decking of the halls and dribbling of the basketballs. We've got Joe coming home from his first semester of college for Christmas next week, a trip to Florida with the High School basketball team and hopefully, a very efficient and frugal finish to the Christmas shopping with minimal stress and maximum spreading of holiday cheer.

A girl's gotta dream, folks.

Here are 5 of my favorite things from the week.


1. Remembering When They Were My "Littles"


I had the most precious time speaking with the Moms of Littles at my church on Wednesday. I adored these women who are in the midst of weaning toddlers off of pacifiers, guiding kiddos in potty training and powering through the unique brand of heroism that is a mama fighting morning sickness and exhaustion while running after a 3 year old.

Lord, have (enormous amounts of) mercy on them. Amen.

I have moments when I feel like those experiences were only 5 minutes ago like when I pull out this little angel preschool craft that Drew did. At the same time, it feels like a million years ago. It is so cliche, but so true that those days are long, but the years are short. Don't blink, sweet mamas. Do not blink.

2. Ellie Holcomb's Red Sea Road Album


I've mentioned a few of the songs on this album, but I cannot get enough of any of them. I highly recommend every single song. In the past few weeks, there seems to have been a lot of loss for my friends - parents, grandparents, spouses. I bought four sympathy cards just yesterday. My dad is recovering from back surgey. At least four of our good friends have had long hospital stays in the past few weeks. One of my little friends who is fighting cancer has had a significant set back. And we've marked the anniversary of the loss of one of my favorite kiddos in the whole universe to osteosarcoma this week. This album is bringing me hope in this season which seems so much darker than usual. Also, Ellie Holcomb was interviewed on The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey and their discussion is well worth your time.

3. AE Ahh-mazingly Soft Flannel Boyfriend Shirt

The question is how many times am I going to have a plaid shirt on Friday Favorites? And the answer is at least one more time. These shirts are so soft and comfortable and come in so many cute color combinations. They are on sale for $24.99 and look great alone or paired with this lightweight sweater which is only $20.00. Gift for one of your girls? Sister? Mom? Fake and/or Real Daughter? Done.


4. This Facebook Post


If there was a Top Ten Social Media Posts of All Time List this one by my friend, Christine, who has two girls and also two boys who seem to be cut from the same cloth as all the people in my house might just top it. She's posted this Thanksgiving worksheet several years in a row. The deep contemplation that her son obviously put in before he listed his greatest blessings never disappoints. Can you even stand it? Boys are just the best ever.

5. Rooted In Hope Advent Devotional


This Advent devotional is saving my life right now. I've had a pretty nasty cold this week and a lot of things on the to-do list but have really done my best to get up early and work through the daily readings. The words in the quiet, stillness of the morning before all the pressure and tasks come crashing in have been such a gift to me.  How 'bout this for your morning?

"It is hope that makes the difference between the prayer that opens our eyes to redemption and the prayer that forgets that help is on its way. It is hope that makes our prayers bold enough for us to defend them even when they make us look a little crazy. It is hope that lets us open our hands for the answer and keep them open, holding all the grace that is poured into them when God responds loosely enough that it rises back up to Him again as praise." - Colleen Mitchell

And all the people say, "Amen and Amen."

I wish you a weekend bursting full of hope, Friends. Have a good one.

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: