Friday, April 6, 2018

5 Friday Favorites: April 6, 2018

Hi, Friends! It's Friday! And it's time for my Friday link up with A Little Bit of EverythingGrace and Love, and Momfessionals

It has been quite a busy week getting back into our routine after being away for more than a week. There's been a whole lot of laundry. SO MUCH LAUNDRY. But, I refuse to put Tide Pods and Bounce Dryer sheets on my list of favorite things this week so let's dig a little deeper.


1. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm




Are you wondering if there will ever be a Friday that I don't include some sort of lip product on 5 Friday Favorites? Well, you're going to have to keep wondering because I'm doing it again. No matter how responsible I tried to be with skin care and sunscreen while I was in Florida, there was no denying that when my previously hibernating body felt that hot sun, it was going to take a hit. My lips were no exception. I picked up this Burt's Bees Lip Balm in Red Dahlia at the CVS while I was there and I loved it. It goes on really smooth - not too thick or sticky - and has a very subtle tint to it. You'll notice that at Amazon you can get it marked down from $7.48 to $7.11 which if you get out your calculator and do the complicated math is a savings of a whole 37 cents. Is it your lucky day or what?


2. New Spring/Summer PJs


If there is anything besides lipsticks, balms, and glosses that I cannot resist putting in my online shopping cart, it's pajamas. Especially if they are a set that has a short sleeve top and long bottoms. While we were away I got a handy-dandy email alert from JCrew that their entire site was 40% off. I snatched up this Vintage Short Sleeve Pajama Set as quick as I could. Unfortunately, today they aren't 40% off. I'm not the boss of you, but these might be worth it. I am thinking I need another pair in another color because pjs are my jam. Also a note: I think they are supposed to be cropped, but for me (5'2") they come just past my ankle which I love. Long enough, but not enough to skim the floor and get dirty.

3. Spring Dresses (A Girl Can Dream)







Apparently, it's supposed to snow here tomorrow and thinking about spring dresses makes zero sense in that regard. I don't even care. Let me live, Al Roker. You really can't go wrong at Loft if you're looking for reasonably priced dresses, so even if you get one of these and simply wear it around your house and sit by a fire in it, just know that I affirm that decision. Carry on.

4. Books I've Read or Am Reading This Week


I kept hearing about An American Marriage by Tayari Jones, so I downloaded it on my Kindle on the way home from Florida. I am just barely into the first chapter and I can tell it's going to be great.


I read Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis perhaps faster than I've read a book in a long, long time. It is fabulous and absolutely the kick in the pants I need in my life right now. Rachel is funny and inspiring and pulls no punches. In the first chapter, she says this: "As a Christian I grew up learning that God was in control, that God had a plan for my life, and I believe in the marrow of my bones that this is true. I believe God loves each of us unconditionally, but I don't think that means we get to squander the gifts and talents he's given us simply because we're good enough already. A caterpillar is awesome, but if the caterpillar stopped there - if she just decided that good is good enough - we would all miss out on the beautiful creature she would become. You are more than you have become."


I loved this book, The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas so much. It is different than anything I've read before and is told from the perspective of a teen who witnesses the shooting of her childhood friend by a police officer. I would recommend it for your high school aged kids as well.



Ok. This is a bit of a white lie. I did not read Same Kind of Different as Me this week or even this year. I read it a very long time ago. I can't even remember when. However, Kyle and I watched the movie this week because he has read it as well. The movie was not great. Not terrible, but just absolutely nothing compared to the book which is one of my favorite reads ever. I highly, highly recommend the book, I only barely recommend the movie.

5. Being a Baseball Mom 
(even if my kid isn't playing)

I know this is going to come as a shock to you, but I love baseball. Especially Little League and High school baseball. I love baseball players even if they're not my own flesh and blood. Here's the thing. When I started this blog, I was the mother of three baseball players that I had birthed myself. This year, technically, I only have one. My oldest is in college now and spends his time in the booth calling games and my middle gave up the game to focus on basketball last year. The youngest - a middle schooler - is still swinging. (See what I did there?)

I don't have a player on the high school team this year. And yet, whenever possible you will find me in the bleachers cheering like it's my job for our Varsity team this season. Because after basically living life with the same group of families on various teams for well over ten years, I will tell you with absolute certainty that I still consider myself a baseball mom to a whole mess of boys that aren't mine. With very few exceptions, the boys on the high school team have played on teams with at least one of my boys at least once in the past ten years. I'm praying for guidance for those who are looking to play in college and for healing for those who are injured. I'm dancing in the stands to between-inning music and huddling close to friends when the sun goes down to keep warm. I'm high-fiving  mamas when their kid rips a single up the middle and I'm cheering like a maniac when our boys fight back from being on the wrong end of a 6-2 score to win with an extra inning walk-off. And there isn't a Skinner boy to be found on the diamond. I can't quit you baseball and I can't quit the boys I've been watching swing for the fences since we had to double knot their cleats. Let's play ball, friends. I'm in.


Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: