Thursday, July 19, 2018

Listening for the Still, Small Voice


Hi, Friends,
I've been writing devotionals for my church, Arcola United Methodist, for the past year or so. This summer our pastor has been speaking on Sacred Characters. Here's a look at what I think the Lord wanted to teach me through the story of Elijah. You can start here and finish up at the link I provide. Also, once you're there, I highly recommend a listen to our wonderful pastor's sermon on Elijah by clicking on the "Watch" icon in the top right corner.
Have a great Thursday!



Scripture:
The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by. Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, 'What are you doing here Elijah?"

Devotional:
I've been praying for a long, long time. I've prayed as a young girl, as a confused teenager, and as an even more confused full-fledged grown-up. I've waited upon the Lord, begged for grace, pleaded for answers, and stormed heaven for healing of family and friends. To this day, I've yet to see a lightening strike or a parting of the clouds with a sign from God. I've never woken from a prophetic dream or heard a distinct booming voice in my ear knowing in an instant that it was Him. I think we all want to hear from the Lord in a way that is loud and magnificent. I'm still holding out hope that this will happen for me some day and I don't doubt it can. Sure would be cool.

Still though, based on this scripture and based on my own personal experience, I know that despite the lack of a grand miraculous event, I have absolutely heard from Him. And every single time I would describe it as a gentle, yet persistent nudging. I have not heard a loud declaration from Him in an instant, but in a series of small moments of a quiet voice over time. I can look back over a period - sometimes months, sometimes weeks, sometimes hours - and realize that He was there giving me direction, hope, clarity and often times conviction all along. And then at once, I put them all together and know what He wants to say to me.

The thing is that the revelation that He has been speaking all along only comes when I am being consistently intentional about my relationship with Him. When I'm multi-tasking and checking off lists and scrolling instagram and turning completely inward to my schedule and my agenda and even my laundry list of prayer requests, He might be speaking, but I will not hear Him.

READ THE REST HERE.

No comments: