Wednesday, August 8, 2018

First, Do No Harm

My pastor's sermon series this month focuses on John Wesley's "Three Simple Rules": Do No Harm, Do Good, and Stay in Love with God.  I've written a devotional to go along with his first sermon on "Do No Harm" which you can find at the link below along with the rest of my writing.

Have a great Wednesday, Friends. :-)

Scripture:
"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend' and it's unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. . . In a word, what I'm saying is Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others. The way God lives toward you." Matthew 5:43,48 -The Message

Devotional:
Many of us have a hard time relating when Matthew talks about "enemies". I rarely sit around thinking about who my enemies might be and if I do, I have a hard time coming up with anyone. In the same vein, when thinking about John Wesley's first simple rule to "Do No Harm", many of us would be quick to say we don't do a whole lot of harm. We aren't cheating on our spouses, abusing our children, dishonest with our business associates, or estranged from our neighbors and families.

And yet, I know that in my real life there are people who I have deeply harmed, whether intentionally or not, and people who have harmed me, whether intentionally or not. Generally, those are people who live inside the walls of my house, attend school, work, and church with me, or live in my community. Most often, they are people I love, cherish, and call my friends.

READ THE REST HERE.


No comments: