Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Life Lately: Writing, Bon Jovi, HoCo and The Word of the Lord

Alrighty then.

I have some other writing I need to do right now and my mind has gone blank on that topic, so I'm just going to recap my life lately for you, dear reader. Grab some caffeine.

It's October which is kinda weird because September was a blur that lasted about a minute and a half. I can barely remember what we did except for something that had to do with back to school, college football, high school basketball, a zillion days of rain, and a lot of baseball cancellations thrown in just to make it seem like real life.

As I mentioned, while I didn't spend much of September writing in this space, I have done quite a bit of writing in other areas. I'm working very slowly on a book proposal and have even gained a gig here or there which I suppose means that I can call myself a freelance writer. This is a job to which I've aspired and which, based on the fact that I have spent a significant number of hours a day in my pjs, with no make up and my dry shampooed hair up in a pony tail, turns out to be just as glamorous as I always dreamed it would be. Also, there's a lot of this:



 Then usually after a little while there's this:



But then inevitably more of this:



Anyway, last week while I was alternating between searching for words in a bag of jalapeno Cheetos and an online thesaurus, my husband was away for a business trip in Las Vegas. He's been on this trip with his company before and we've often kicked around the idea of my accompanying him for some of the social events, but we always decide it will be too much trouble. In any event, usually they have a special night where they get a private concert performed by an artist of some sort - none of whom I have ever cared about before. Key word: Before. As in, previous to this period of time.

I got a call from Steve when he landed in Las Vegas telling me that the rumor was that the concert this year would be Bon Jovi. If you've read here long enough, you know that JBJ and I have a thing. Jon just doesn't know about it. So I sent my beloved this text.



Anyway, the good news was that while he was watching Bon Jovi and spending some time in the sunshine, I was cleaning out closets to cure writer's block, walking my dog in the pouring down rain, and taking my children to the orthodontist. I really wasn't bitter about it at all.



Gratefully, the weekend came and the sun came out. It seemed like all the schools in the land were having Homecoming including ours. Kyle and I were here alone because just as soon as Steve got home he and Drew had to leave for a baseball tournament out of town. When Kyle didn't have Homecoming functions to attend we had some quality time together during which we watched Texas beat Kansas State and ate Chick Fil A because I have found in my almost twenty years of parenting boys that sports and food will generally keep them in your vicinity for a little while. It might even get you a hug and a "Thanks, Ma!".

(Note: Utilize all your tactics, Mamas. An eight piece chicken nugget and waffles fries with extra Chick Fil A sauce is a formidable weapon in the fight against teen apathy and sullenness.)

Later the boy got all dressed up for Homecoming and as usual, we were concerned about the tie tying portion of the evening with no Steve around, so at one point, he came in my room with this situation. He also was wearing his white basketball shoes.


In the end, he decided against the Run DMC look for which I was super grateful. With a little help from a Youtube tutorial he got the tie knotted up perfectly, donned his dress shoes and shades, and went for this look instead.


I mean.


Life with these boys continues to split us in a million directions so I was so grateful for my baseball mom friends who make sure to send me pictures of my catcher and his buddies.


They won the whole darn tournament.


I mean.



Well, I haven't told you what I ate for lunch yesterday or about the time I got my car's oil changed, but I'd say we'd probably better wrap this up, no?

I'll leave you with a thought the Lord has given me this week.

My friends and I continue to live life with teenagers. We continue to bat around ideas and fears and encouragement and laughter over the  feeling that none of us has a clue as to what we're doing. Our own teenage experiences, our culture, and our media all remind us that there are legitimate fears to have as our children go out into the world. I've written about it a few times in the last month, not because I'm dealing with anything terrible in my home right now, but because frankly if we're watching the news cycle we can't get away from it and my mind has a life of its own when presented with "what ifs."

So God saw that and sent me this verse through a wise friend this week.

"And I am certain of this, that He who began a good work in you, will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." -Philippians 1:6

Stick your kid's name in there in place of the "you". Settle your mind and rest in the good version of the kid that is living in your house at this moment and in the version that God will complete in them. Don't create a version of your child based on what you think might happen next week, could be happening when they are away from you, or should be happening at this point in their lives, statistically based on that news report.

Rest in who they are today. In your home. With you. With their friends. With their coaches and teachers and siblings. Deal with this present moment.

Do you have hard conversations that need to be had? Consequences that need to be dealt with?

Do that when it needs to be done.

When I looked at my kids this week - the version of them that is real and true right now in front of my face? It looked like talking about life and school and friends and hard stuff while eating Chick fil A on the back deck. It looked like watching football and high fives. It looked like texting funny SNL videos back and forth and repeating the funniest lines to each other and asking what he wanted for his 20th (!) birthday this weekend. It looked like quizzing for a Spanish test over chocolate chip waffles and dancing to Earth, Wind and Fire in the car line.

This is the version of the good work God has created right now. This is not denial. This is being ready and willing to teach and give consequences when those occasions arise, but to not dare miss the joy and fun and the relationship to be had with the human being sitting right in front of your face.

Rest in the good work He has created. Rest in the good work He still has to do. Because the Lord is not finished with them yet.

And guess what? He's not finished with us yet either. He's still got work to do. And for me, that's some really good news. And I'm going to trust He'll do it well.

In closing, Glory Hallelujah and thanks be to God.

No comments: