Wednesday, February 20, 2019

He Sees You (reboot)



As I sit in bleachers at many a youth baseball game, I love to hear the various phrases shouted by parents and coaches as they try to encourage the players. Some phrases are "old school" that we've all heard before.

"Good eye!": when a batter lets a pitch out of the strike zone go by.
"Way to fight that off!": when a kid hits a foul ball.
As a batter gets up to the plate: "Whaddya say, #2?" 
Pop fly to the outfield: "You gotta run that out, kid!" for the runner and "Can o' corn!" for the outfielder. 

Some phrases are unique to certain coaches and parents. One of our parents likes to shout, "Lay off that high cheese!" when a pitch comes in too high. A certain coach likes to say "On the hop, boys!" One of my favorites is when a pitch comes in a bit too close to one of our players, and a teammate might joke, "You gotta wear that one!" 

We like to poke fun at my husband's very complicated advice to his batters: "See the ball, hit the ball."  Mmmmhmmm.  That's it. He claims it's a simple game. 

One summer many years ago, one of my sons had a coach who was new to him. How I loved to hear this coach's shout of encouragement to his players. He had a unique phrase that I had not heard before and it made me smile and now I use that phrase all the time and I have noticed it time and time again both on the baseball diamond and the basketball court. 

If my son got a hit and ended up safe on the base, I'd hear this coach shout, "Hey, I see you, Kid!" 

READ THE REST HERE

No comments: