Thursday, April 26, 2012

Daybook: Thursday 4/26


Outside my window:
Kinda gloomy and so am I.  I seriously need one of those light boxes or to move to the surface of the Sun.

I am thinking:
About how funny kids' nightmares are.  Drew came running full blast into our room last night about 4:00 AM.  I was ready to tell him to go back to bed.  Then he told me that he had a dream about this giant frog that shot tiny frogs at him out of his giant frog head.  He said, “Do you think there is really such thing as that?”  I said, “No, I don’t, but that is really freaky, dude, get in bed with us, but I’m next to dad.”  Yikes.

I am thankful:
For my sister because whenever I am in a hopeless mood about a situation and have spent all morning worrying, she will send me a text that cracks me right up.

In the kitchen:
Really black bananas that need to be turned into banana bread today.

I am wearing:
Jeans, boots (blah, it’s rainy) and a navy and white striped hoodie.  It’s a little “Anchors Aweigh”ish.

I am going:
To do a ton of laundry today.  I’m shocked my people had clothes to wear today.

I am wondering:
How in John 18 and 19 with the crowds spitting and mocking and slapping and the soldiers flogging Jesus, He was able to stand firm with quiet strength, peaceful in the knowledge of the truth of who He was and what He had to do and how when enemies came at him with no basis for their hate and anger, he simply said, “Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do.”  It seems so hard to stand quiet and non-defensive and full of love with hate and venom coming at innocent and I just wonder how He did that and I know we are called to do the same and then I remember how He did it: He was God, Emmanuel, God with us, then, now, always.  Duh.

I am reading:
Finished The Hunger Games and it was disturbing, but I did like it.  Now I’m on to reading Growing Up, Colt:  A Father, A Son, a Life in Football by Brad McCoy and his son, Colt McCoy, the winningest quarterback in Texas Longhorn history and a hero in our house.  If you have a son who loves sports or you love the Texas Longhorns or you love Jesus or really, even if you just know how to read, you should read it. And we’re nearing the end of the Gospel of John in CBS and it’s brutal and hopeful all at the same time.

I am hoping:
That the sun will come out so I can get to watch Kyle play baseball tonight.  Only one kid playing tonight is a gift so I need it to happen.

I am listening to:
The guys doing the oil change on my car and Fox News on the TV at the auto shop.

On my IPod:
“Blessed Assurance” by Third Day.  There are lots of things that are confusing, people and situations that I don’t understand, but this song reminds me of the blessed assurance of the presence of Jesus in my life and even in those circumstances that I find overwhelming and baffling.  I sang this song growing up and it reminds me of my grandmother’s Methodist church in East Texas…although Third Day’s version is a bit different!

I am praying:
For the mother of four, one of whom is Kyle’s friend and classmate.  Sara is fighting against cancer with all her might and she needs an army of prayer warriors.  Might you please flood heaven with prayers for Sara today?   

A favorite quote for today:
“Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you, not because they are nice, but because you are.” –Author Unknown

Verse for today:
“When they hurled their insults at [Jesus], He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats.  Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.” (1 Peter 2:23)

One of my favorite things:
A certain someone making his Little League debut on the pitching mound:


A few plans for the rest of the week:
Two of my people will be on the field in Delaware for baseball, one will be in West Virginia and one will be right here in the ‘hood.  We’ll split up and furiously text updates. Bless you, IPhone.

Daybook idea found here:  http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: