Friday, October 26, 2012

{this moment}: And I thought I'd never get to buy pink


{this moment}  A Friday ritual.  A single few photos - a few words - from the week.  A simple, special, extraordinary moment.  A moment I want to pause, savor and remember.

The boys are into the "pinkness" for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  We see it everywhere.  Even the plumber's truck was pink and adorned with ribbons. Sometimes I think it's too much and the message is getting diluted.  I think, at first, that my boys thought it was kinda cool and different to wear pink around the 'hood.  My little rule followers were thinking it was quite rebellious.  Then I sat them down to talk about the women in this family of theirs.  I talked about the fact that my great grandmother, both of my grandmothers and my mom (their beloved Grammy) all fought breast cancer when no one was wearing pink around and painting their faces.  It is a real disease that affects real mothers and sisters and grandmothers and aunts.  And though I didn't get into it with them, it can be for me, a real fear. So now instead of wearing the pink to be part of the crowd, they can wear the pink for Helen Margaret Durkin Harbison, Era Mae Connor Pratt, Patsy Harbison Pratt and all those who battle.  Fight on, Sisters and go get a mammogram.












No comments: