Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What Day is It? Daybook: October 9?

Outside my window:
it's a little grey and a little gloomy and I'm a little okay with that right now.
I am thinking: 
how much I love the surprise of one cancelled baseball practice and one cancelled baseball game.  Thank you to Coach C. and the Fairfax County Rain Line.
I am thankful:
for watching my kids and their buddies play baseball.  What's new, right?  Seriously, though, as much as I relish a day off,  watching these kids give everything they have for six (or more) innings is one of the greatest little gifts my God has given me. I am thankful for huddling next to other mommas under blankets in the early morning cold and then finding that I'm too nervous too sit.  I'm thankful for how every other worry, whether serious or mundane, floats out of my mind, as I clasp my numb fingers together and pace back and forth, consumed with little boys hitting and pitching and running and diving for baseballs.  In our final game this weekend, in the 7th inning, the other team had the winning run on 3rd base.  Hello, pressure?  When our pitcher struck the batter out to force yet another extra inning, I'm pretty sure that I lost my ever-lovin' mind.  I shrieked and jumped and stomped and raised my hands in the air and made a complete fool of myself.  I know it was just a baseball game and that there are more important things in the world and that is exactly why I love it.  We ended up losing that game in the 8th inning and still, I'm thankful for it.  Thank you, God, for baseball.  In a world with plenty of serious pain and sadness, it brings me some serious joy.  (I just hope no one has a video of me doing the superfreak.)
I am wearing:
jeans and a new striped white and black t-shirt from the Rehoboth Beach JCrew outlet.  (40% off!!)
I am listening to:
the washing machine and dryer and David Crowder Band on my Ipod. (Thanks, Ms. Kristen, for the reminder of how much I love this music!)
In the kitchen:
there are four pairs of baseball pants soaking in OxiClean in the sink.
I am going:
to move some furniture around.  New wood floors being installed this week. 
I am reading:
7:  An Experimental Mutiny on Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  It is taking me a little while to get through this book because I have to put it down after each chapter and think HARD about it. 
I am wondering:
how many times I have made a list for the grocery store and then have shown up at the store, only to realize I have left the list at home.  Y'all, come on!  Every single week.  I stick my head down in my giant purse, looking like Mary Poppins disappearing into her bag of tricks.  That list is NEVER there. Ugh.
I am pondering:
how I pondered not writing today and perhaps should have kept pondering that instead of writing this ridiculously boring daybook.
I am hoping:
that the cold will stay away a bit longer.  I am not ready for it.
I am looking forward to:
that new show where Tami Taylor from Friday Night Lights moves to Nashville to become a country singer.  I think it starts on Wednesday.  I know she"ll have a new name, but I think they should stick with Tami.
A quote for today:
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."  - Mark Twain (thanks to Susi for posting this on Facebook. LOVE.)
A verse for today:
"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear him." -Psalm103:11
On my Ipod:
How He Loves Us by David Crowder Band
One of my favorite things:
A weekend away for a baseball tournament with my middle man.  We had a great time with the team, but one night we had dinner, just the two of us.  As I looked at his little pixie face across the table, I really thought my heart would burst wide open.

I am praying:
to trust that God will help me this week to get everyone fed, clothed, and where they need to be on time without yelling at anyone to HURRY UP and GET IN THE CAR!  I will trust You, Jesus, but if You could show up at my door with a valid driver's license and a working vehicle that would help a lot.
A few plans for the week:
new floors installed (!), cleaning out the basement, practices, games, working in the toddler nursery on Sunday, family dinner.  It is a thrill a minute around here, huh?
A peek into my day:
Dear White Baseball Pants,
You and your little red-headed maniac accomplice, who decided to play tackle football in the mud in between baseball games with all the other little 7 year old maniacs, WILL NOT defeat me.  Ya hear me? My Oxiclean and I will NOT go down without a fight.


Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: