Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Couple Days - book: Sunday/Monday May 26/27, 2013

 
Outside my window:
Starbucks parking lot.  Manassas, Virginia.  Bright, glorious, early Sunday morning sun and no wind today which is so very welcome because I could build my own baseball field with the amount of baseball dirt blown into my teeth, ears, eyes and hair yesterday.  Just down the road, Joe is warming up for Game 1 of four being played by Skinner boys today.
I am thinking:
about three boys, three baseball tournaments, three towns, three pairs of eyes scanning bleachers, one mama and one daddy in two cars begging traffic lights to turn green as they race through Northern Virginia trying desperately not to miss the heroic hit or the humiliating error.  Elizabeth is beautifully singing my song HERE as she writes about "showing up".  (Although her song has nine verses to my three.  She's a rock star.)
I am thankful:
for the brave men and women who gave us this blessed Memorial Day holiday and for all of the carpooling members of my village who help get my ballplayers to the field on time when I can't be in three places at once.
I am listening to:
Starbucks music and "DECAF VENTI CARAMEL MACCHIATO??"
I am wearing:
boots ( I know, in MAY, ugh!), jeans, long-sleeve navy and white striped shirt.  Hoping to change to short sleeves and flip-flops for Game 2.
In the kitchen:
lots of dishes in the sink from last night's dinner.  No time this morning to empty the full dishwasher and load it again although I'm certain my little ballplayers with later games will do that job.  Ahem.
I am going:
to three games at least today and a Memorial Weekend cookout or two.
I am hoping:
that the boys remember who they're playing for today.  Kyle has put the initials of Jackson, his team's patient ambassador from Children's National Medical Center on his helmet to remind him.



I am reading:
I finished The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach which I loved.  It's got great characters and baseball which is just a bit up my alley.  Now reading Carry on Warrior by Glennon Melton.
I am wondering:
if perhaps Kyle's English teacher is tiring of his book projects since they have been on Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson  and a book on a 12 year old pitching phenom.  This time he's moving way out of the box with a report on Roberto Clemente.
I am pondering: 
flowers and when I will be able to plant them.  I do still have some girly genes in here!
I am looking forward to:
It's Monday now and we had four games yesterday and four wins.  So I'm looking at one final and two semi-finals starting at 9:30, 10:00 and 11:00.  Looking forward to a win or three.
I am praying:
that a precautionary doctor appointment for a friend's child will be absolutely, positively a waste of time and that everything with this child will be absolutely, positively just fine.  Pray with me, please?
On my Ipod:
Just so much Taylor Swift that it is getting out of hand.  THIS is my new favorite.  If I turn it up loud enough, I am positive that I sound exactly like her.  I'm telling you, it.is.uncanny.
A quote for today:
"Before I got cancer, normal just felt kinda boring.  But normal now is, like, kinda special." - Gavin, a pediatric cancer patient.  Watch more about these wonderful kids and Children's National Medical Center HERE.
I am learning:
to give thanks for normal.
A verse for today: 
"You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." - Matthew 6:14-16
One of my favorite things:
My sister and brother and THIS ARTICLE that reminded me of what I gigantic gift they are to me when I read this:
My siblings have certainly seen me at my worst, and I’ve seen them at theirs. No one has bolted. It’s as if we signed some contract long ago, before we were even aware of what we were getting into, and over time gained the wisdom to see that we hadn’t been duped. We’d been graced: with a center of gravity; with an audience that never averts its gaze and doesn’t stint on applause.


A few plans for the week:
lots of end of school activities, Little League, a tournament in Yorktown, Virginia and sun, I hope!
A peek into my day:
#46, #33 and #10 and celebrating my country and the folks who have kept my people safe.




Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: