Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday Daybook: July 9, 2013


Outside my window:
It's cloudy and grey again.  This summer has been full of rain.  I'm not a fan.
I am thinking:
about baseball, of course.  Our guys made it to the Little League District Championship for the 4th year in a row.  Now thinking, could this really happen again?
I am thankful:
for the love and gracious generosity of this area's baseball community who have left no stone unturned, no ribbon unpinned, no orange shoelace untied in the effort to honor Gavin Rupp, a warrior boy fighting brain cancer.  I am immensely grateful for the way my children are able to see God's people trying desperately to spread light in the midst of darkness.

I am listening to:
silence.  Ballplayers sleeping off a very close game.
I am wearing:
blue plaid pjs and a white tank top.
In the kitchen:
not a lot.  There has been a whole lot of eating out in the past few weeks.
I am going:
to find some businesses who might display our flyer for our July 16th benefit for Gavin today.
 
I am reading:
Cleaning House:  A Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement by Kay Wills Wyma
I am wondering:
if you might want to skip the Sports Page's story about Aaron Hernandez and read about Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals instead.  There are some good ones out there and I will forever be a Bryce Harper fan.

I am pondering: 
my responsibilities and timing when faced with questions about faith.  I have felt disappointed in myself of late when faced with questions - questions from adults and children and questions of my very own.  So many difficult, defiant questions.  Those I sometimes feel equipped to answer and those that I know that I cannot answer because of the simple fact that Christians are not Christ.  Because I am broken and confused and sinful.  I am pondering the tragedy of the world full of trouble that He told me would be.  I am pondering a God who did not ever in all of my study, in all of my time with Him, never once, tell me that if I believed in Him, my life would be free of pain.  I am pondering resting in the hope of an eternity with Him when I am certain that I will get all of my questions answered and I am certain that I will see how he makes beauty out of ashes.  I am pondering when to share this and when to hear my God say, "Zip it, sister.  I've got this."
A quote for today:
"Prayer in action is love and love in action is service.  Try to give unconditionally whatever a person needs in the moment.  The point is to do something, however small, and show you care through your actions by giving your time . . . We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but that ocean would be less without that drop." - Mother Teresa
I am praying:
for Gavin and all children fighting cancer, for a dear friend's brother also battling cancer, for those fighting addictions and depression.  Be near us, Lord Jesus.  Please be near.
On my Ipod:
The Champ by Nelly is on constant rotation on our trips out to the ball fields lately.  I guess all the kids these days would call this our jam.  Yea, I'm not that cool.
A verse for today: 
"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.  And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character;  and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." Romans 5:1-3"
I am learning:
that I have lots to learn.
One of my favorite things:
seeing a smile on the all business face of Coach Skinner when one of the greatest kids I know knocks in three runs with one swing.
A peek into my day:



Daybook idea at http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Eileen Marie Miller said...

Congrats to your little baseball players.