Monday, August 19, 2013

A Sunday Afternoon Daybook Posting On Monday, August 19, 2013

Outside my window:
it is raining.  I can't complain because we had glorious weather for three days in a row, but I'm a little sad because a pool day appears to be cancelled.
I am thinking:
that it is really stupid that I stayed up so late to watch the Nationals game in extra innings and then slept late and missed church, when I have had the opportunity to see the replay 523 times on SportsCenter this morning.
I am thankful:
for the wonderful, amazing, exciting and forever etched in our brains night that we had at Nationals Park last week when we got to watch batting practice, gather autographs, eat in the Diamond Club and watch a ridiculous catch by the centerfielder for a crazy fun 6-5 victory.  I'll blog more and add a gazillion photos about it later in the week, but if you look at Kyle's face in this photo, you can see exactly what the night was like for all five of us.  Big Sigh.  Big Blessings.  Big Thanks.

ohmygosh, ohmygosh, it's Jayson Werth!!!!


In the kitchen:
I turned these beautiful, healthy peaches from the Farmer's Market into a beautiful, unhealthy peach cobbler.  My people loved it.  They were stunned.

I am wearing:
running shorts, Old Navy pajama top, and running shoes and a some portion of my hair in a ponytail holder.  I hope no one comes over here soon.
I am listening:
to the dryer spin and to SportsCenter for the 524th time even though I am all alone in the house.  Where art thou, remote control? 
I am going:
to watch Joe play in his first golf match as a member of his high school golf team tomorrow.  I wonder if I'll forget the protocol and start cheering like I'm at a baseball game.  If I don't get invited back I guess we'll know I yelled out something like, "Attaway, Kid!  That's a base hit, bud!"  Maybe I should stay home.
I am reading:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand 
I am looking forward to:
a trip to Lake Anna this weekend, I hope, I hope, I hope.
I am learning:
lessons in reserved, quiet, dignified leadership and how much my boys can learn from men who behave this way.  It's interesting that we've learned these lessons in the past week from very young men.  Young sports stars are often full of robust, loud, fist-pumping bravado.  This week we celebrated a 21 year old youth basketball coach as he is getting ready to leave for college after 7 years of coaching in our league. From the age of fourteen he led with quiet strength and won championships (over and over again) with a reserved humility which always demonstrated his respect for his players, his opponents and the game.  We also watched 20 year old Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals, serious and focused, sign autograph after autograph for children yelling his name during his batting practice.  Harper didn't chat a lot, didn't show a lot of emotion, but he showed class and kindness and respect for his fans and his game.  I am learning that actions speak louder than words.  Deafeningly so. 
I am praying:
for that basketball coach as he takes off for college this week and for his momma as she wrestles with his absence in the house, for deep breaths and trust that it will all work as I start filling in the calendar with the fall sports schedule and for the presence of mind to not let these last two weeks of summer slip away without enjoying the moments of (semi) unscheduled days.   Also for friends trying to see God in the midst of the frustration of roads full of challenges that seem just.so.darn.hard.
On my Ipod:
Blind by Third Day for those friends above and for me on many, many days.
I am wondering:
how the moms watching their kids in the Little League World Series do not just pass out right there on the bleachers in front of the tv cameras.  My tummy hurts just watching these kids.  New England v. Washington just about made me throw up.
A quote for today:
"When you release loved ones to Me, you are free to cling to My hand.  As you entrust others into My care, I am free to shower blessings on them.  My Presence will go with them wherever they go, and I will give them rest.  This same Presence stays with you, as you relax and place your trust in Me.  Watch to see what I will do" -from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
A verse for today:
"All your children will be taught by the Lord and great will be their peace." - Isaiah 54:13
One of my favorite things:
a rainy Sunday on the couch watching the Little League World Series with my favorite Little League coach.
A few plans for the week:
lots of golf, a little baseball, a few dentist appointments and hopefully lots of pool time.
A peek into my day: 
 

2 comments:

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hi, I saw your link at Simple Woman's Daybook.
Enjoyed my wee visit here. I see you like Jesus Calling...me too.

Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places....

Karen said...

Yay for baseball! We're Red Sox fans here.

I enjoyed your post.