Monday, August 26, 2013

Clinging to Summer Daybook: August 26, 2013


Outside my window:
May be one of the most beautiful days I have ever seen.
I am thinking:
Honestly?  about diets and numbers on a scale and how a gal can run 20 miles in a week, but if she eats junk she will feel like junk.  There is just about nothing I despise more than thinking about food and weight and fat, except for a bunch of women sitting around talking about it and that's why I even hesitate to write what I am thinking today.  But that's only because I spent the better part of my life from about 14 years old - 30 years old consumed with calories and diet and the scale.  It is an unbearably difficult way to live.  So maybe if I write it down I will let it go today.  I do not want to go back there.   It is a dark place to be.  I've learned in the last 15 years that there is no big secret, no perfect diet, no magic formula.  There is, for me, only this: eat less, move more, and basically, SHUT UP ABOUT IT.  Stop focusing IN and instead focus OUT on someone else and focus UP on God.  Moving on . . .

I am thankful:
for a beautiful 24 hours of sun, water, laughing, relaxing, reading and worshiping under the trees by the lake.

I am wearing:
running shorts, green running top, no shoes yet
I am listening to:
lazy boys giggling at the tv
I am reading:
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  Also, I started reading Wonder by RJ Palacio to the boys at night and it has already brought about lots of good discussions and quite a few tears.  We haven't gotten far, but I HIGHLY recommend it especially as kids are starting back to school.
I am hoping:
that no one who reads this becomes alarmed by the I am thinking portion here.  My husband sometimes thinks I share too much and cause folks to worry.  I am fine. I have not gone full-on crazytown yet, so no worries.  (Please don't take offense to the crazytown comment.  I'm entitled.  I lived there for awhile and now I just visit for a few minutes and realize that God does not want me to move back.)
I am praying:
For a woman who struggles desperately with an eating disorder and there are many someones out there.  Hating yourself makes you live in bitterness and start to hate your world and it's brutal to live like that.  My heart hurts so much for her and I pray for her healing every day.  There is probably not a woman reading this who doesn't know someone like the gal who is on my heart.  Forgive her, especially if the her is you.  Lift her up today.
I am looking forward to:
celebrating my amazing, giving, loving, special sister-in-law's birthday tonight at the Fundraiser by the Fountain to benefit the Gavin Rupp Medical Fund.  Come out and sing Happy Birthday with me?
I am learning:
that one of the things that I need to remember to tell my young boys before they leave the nest is this: IF YOU USE THE LAST OF THE TOILET PAPER, REPLACE THE ROLL!  THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!  FOR THE LOVE, PEOPLE! 
On my Ipod:

My Summer of 2013 jams including:  Mirrors, Blurred Lines and for old times sake, Summertime. And as long as we are talking about Will Smith, I can't tell you how much I want to wear an ice blue track suit and dance to Getting Jiggy With It with him.
I am pondering:
THIS post.
A quote for today:
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." - from Wonder by RJ Palacio
A verse for today:
"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.   Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." - John 7:37b-38

One of my favorite things:
A boy with an ice cream cone


A few plans for the week:
 a few very important people in my life have birthdays this week and we will squeeze the life out of the last week of summer.
A peek into my day: 
 

1 comment:

A happy heart at home said...

Hi! I appreciate your daybook post. I'm a woman in my fifties. I have been obese for decades, and I'm hoping that with the start of eating more healthfully, I will see my weight normalize. I have spent many years of my life thinking way too much about my weight, too, and then unfortunately eating too much to (supposedly) calm those thoughts. What I needed to do instead was to eat healthier, move more, and get my focus, as you said, on others and on God. Thanks for your post. I hope you have a great week!