Monday, September 30, 2013

September's End Daybook: Monday, September 30, 2013

Outside my window:
it's dark.
I am thinking:
that I shouldn't have eaten the entire cheeseburger last night.
I am thankful:
that all my boys seem to be healthy as of last night and that it's going to be warm and sunny all week!
In the kitchen:
it smells like something burned and that could be because I turned on the coffee pot without putting the water in it first.  Hello, Monday morning.
I am wearing:
blue plaid pjs, a white tshirt and one of my husband's sweatshirts.
I am listening to:
the shower running, the dryer spinning and a neighbor rolling out his trash can.
I am going:
finally, to lunch with a friend which was cancelled last week due to my sick little people.
I am reading:
I finished Blue Like Jazz last night while I was in the bathtub and it appears that I'm going to have to buy a new one for the library because there was an unfortunate accident what with the bathtub being full of water and all.  I might have to buy about 100 copies though because I want to give that book to everyone.  Did I mention that I LOVED it?
I am hoping:
that a friend of mine can keep hoping and believing that the situation in her home can be better.  She deserves a break in the chaos and if she can't hope it right now, I'm going to keep on hoping for her.
I am looking forward to:
a Beth Moore study of James at my church this week and running in The Race for Every Child on Team Gavin this Saturday morning.
I am learning:
that just listening and hearing about a friend's struggles is better than offering solutions, especially when solutions are so hard for a human mind to conjure.
I am praying:
for parents of teenagers and for the teenagers.  And for parents of adult children and toddlers and newborns and kids that break out in hives for five days.  Just for parents, I guess.  All of us, questioning, worrying, struggling and trying desperately to trust that it all will be okay.
I am pondering:
pretty much all of Chapter 17 of Blue Like Jazz on Worship including: 
" . . there are things you cannot understand, and you must learn to live with this.  Not only must you learn to live with this, you must learn to enjoy this.  I want to tell you something that you may see as weakness. I need wonder.  I know that death is coming.  I smell it in the wind, read it in the paper, watch it on television, and see it on the faces of the old.  I need wonder to explain what is going to happen to me, what is going to happen to us when this thing is done, when our shift is over and our kids' kids are still on the earth listening to their crazy rap music.  I need something mysterious to happen after I die.  I need to be somewhere else after I die, somewhere with God, somewhere that wouldn't make any sense if it were explained to me right now."  Oh my gosh, Amen, Don Miller, Amen.
On my Ipod:
Mercy Me's I Can Only Imagine (but I'm just guessing that I might dance)
A quote for today:
"When we reduce Christian spirituality to math we defile the Holy.  I thought that was very beautiful and comforting because I have never been good at math.  Many of our attempts to understand Christian faith have only cheapened it.  I can no more understand the totality of God than the pancake I made for breakfast understands the complexity of me." -again from Blue Like Jazz.  Just go on and read it.  At least Chapter 17.
A verse for today:
"Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.  The things you planned for us no one can recount to you;  were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare." - Psalm 40:5
One of my favorite things:
80 degrees in the forecast for the first week of October
A few plans for the week:
a flood of golfers and volunteers will be appearing in my inbox for the Gavin Rupp Open, all three boys will play in the Longhorn Stampede Baseball Tournament this weekend and this little baby boy is turning fifteen.


Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: