Tuesday, February 23, 2016

February Thoughts: aka I Can't Even. At All. I Just Can't.

This is how I feel about pretty much every task that requires attention in the month of February.



This would include getting out of bed, brushing my teeth and putting on real pants.

Y'all. I'm pretty pathetic in the middle of winter. It's cold. And it's gloomy. And it's grey. And did I mention it's cold?

Now today, I thought I might try to have a positive attitude because as someone really annoying once said, "People are generally as happy as they make up their minds to be." So I could think to myself, "Hey, it was originally supposed to snow this week and now it's only rain! Let's look at the bright side!

In response to that, I'm pretty much like this:




I mean, minus the cleavage.

So for the past couple of days I've been trying to think of how I might take some steps to change my Winter Down-in-the-Dumps-ness.

I know I need to start getting back into my running routine which for most of 2016 hasn't been too successful. It's just the cold and the wind and the precipitation. And did I mention the cold? Every time I've had good intentions to go for a run as soon as I get out the door, I'm pretty much like this:



Yesterday it was actually above freezing, so I went outside to run for the first time in awhile and it was pretty pathetic. The plan was to run four or five miles, but I made it exactly 1.5 miles. And let me tell you that that 1.5 miles seemed like it took about five hours to finish. It was pretty much like this:



So, after that I thought about how writing always helps me fight off the winter blues. If I feel like I'm creating something and offering something to the world, I feel like I've found my happy place. So I sat down at my computer and waited for all the inspiring words to come to me and it was pretty much like this:


So I thought instead I'd search for some recipes and create a wonderfully nutritious dinner for my people. My big boys are trying out for the high school baseball team this week, so I thought they would appreciate having some homemade deliciousness before they headed up to tryouts.  But every time I would scan the ingredients necessary for any recipe I found intriguing, I would inevitably come to something I needed to go out to buy at the grocery store, so I was pretty much like this:



So I thought about the fact that I actually could just go to the grocery store. That maybe it wouldn't be all that big of a deal. I could take a shower and get dressed and go out and smile at the world and check off my list. But then I was pretty much like this:



So I decided that I had lots episodes of Fixer Upper and a couple of episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Scandal just sitting there in my DVR waiting for a day such as this. So I was pretty much like this:


This is the thing. Some days we just don't have it, y'all. We might need to have a good cry or a bag of tostitos or a marathon of watching Olivia Pope. Tomorrow is another day, right? Spring will come,okay? We just have to be patient. Which is hard for me. I'm not very good at waiting. I have very little patience left for winter. Waiting for spring for me is pretty much like this:



T-6 days until March. Hang in there, friends.

No comments: