Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dear Baseball: Please come back to me.

photo credit: UNC Asheville
http://www.uncabulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19200&ATCLID=210761531


Dear Baseball,

Don't hang up. Please hear me out. This is the thing.

I miss you. Desperately and completely. I had no idea it would be like this. I know I took you for granted. I wished you away some days. I was even happy when you canceled on me on a couple of occasions. Okay, more than a couple. It's just that I thought I wanted to have some alone time. I'm so sorry. I'm miserable without you. I don't know what to do with myself. Everything is so weird.

My stadium seat sits in my car without purpose. I tried to sit in it at the kitchen table the other day and it was just all wrong. I've had to make dinner for everyone every single night for two weeks. Listen. That is not how I roll, Baseball. I need at least a couple of nights a week where I can count on my boys to get some quality nutrition from a hot dog, a bag of Doritos and a Sprite at the concessions stand or the 12 piece mild buffalo wings with bleu cheese on the side at the local sports bar after the game. My washer hasn't seen the challenge of a pair of muddy baseball pants in forever. Dude. The tub of OxiClean is FULL. I haven't seen my baseball mom friends in ages. Will we ever have another chance to clap and high five each other saying with confidence, "Hey, that was totally a legit double your kid just hit. I don't care that the shortstop threw it three miles over the first baseman's head. I call that a double every day of the week and twice on Sundays." Will we ever dance to 80s music in between innings again or will this all just be a distant memory? What the heck is happening here, Baseball?

Everyday I wander around looking out the window as the raindrops fall and the fog hangs in the air. I jump at each text that buzzes my phone and hold my breath wondering what will you do today. The uncertainty and lack of commitment are making me insane.

Will you cancel again? Will you postpone until tomorrow and then again until next Tuesday? If I was signed up for admissions ticket taker does that mean I'm still admissions ticket taker on our new date or will I need to work the concessions stand?  If JV is canceled does that mean Varsity is canceled, too? If Little League is canceled should I take Drew with me or should Steve take Drew or should Drew go to a friend's house? Are we having practice at the indoor facility instead? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Do you see? I'm losing my ever lovin' mind. I don't care about the tree. I care about you, Baseball. I can't take it anymore.

Please come back to me, Baseball. Please, please. I'm lost without you.

Love,
Jenn

No comments: