Thursday, October 20, 2016

Some Thinking, Some Reading, Some Listening and Some Snacks

So I've been crazy busy lately like everyone else in the world. I've been preoccupied with our home remodeling and fall sports and Joe's senior stuff and whatnot, and I really miss writing. So I decided that this morning I would give myself a break from the ordering of housewares and the oxicleaning of baseball pants and the purchasing of various graduation necessities.

Basically I need a break from the general throwing around of credit card numbers and writing of checks. I need to sit still and type words that don't cost me anything.

So here I sit in my house all alone. It is so quiet. All I hear is the hum of the fridge. This is it. All of those profound, important, inspiring thoughts I've been having for weeks are about to just show up and I will write for hours.

Here we go. This is me.


What? You don't look exactly like Jennifer Aniston when you are deep in thought? Because I do. It's weird. I can't explain it.

Anyway, after a few minutes of looking fabulous and thinking, I went straight to Facebook and took a quiz (as the most successful writers do, of course) titled "Can we guess your birth month based on your favorite foods?" Then I moved on to "What percent Disney princess are you?". I think my percentage dropped quite a bit when I had to get up in the middle of that quiz to clean up dog vomit.

So after all the thinking and all the wasting of time, I realized something. Let's be honest. The thing most people in our fair land are thinking about and talking about and writing about is the election. I've been thinking a whole lot about the election and reading a whole lot about the campaign and even occasionally sitting at my computer and writing about this whole mess. At different points in the last week or so, I've read over my words and I've thought to myself, "You know what? I will just hit publish now. I will put all of my thoughts on this campaign out into the universe."

And then I say, "Hey, Self,"


Some writing  is just for me to work out things in my head and heart and is best left to discussing with my people around my table because frankly, the Internet has lost its ever-lovin' mind.

The only thing I will say about this election and the Internet is that I'm not sure how we ever got through debates in the past without Twitter. Twitter is my soulmate during debates. I have undying love for Twitter during debates. I know there are no more debates, but if there were I would marry Twitter during the next debate.

Ok, so let's go in another direction and discuss some opinions on things that don't generally invite people to comment on a post using words like "idiot', "liar", "hypocrite" or the newly popular, "bad hombre".

Books


This is the stack of books I'm planning on reading after I stop getting sucked in by quizzes inviting me to determine what kind of sandwich I am. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? I am half way through both Audacious and Present Over Perfect. I will say that Present Over Perfect is teaching me and speaking to me in ways that make me weep. I did not expect to be so moved by it. I also look forward to reading books that keep me from both wasting time on social media and also, from weeping, so Liane Moriarity usually does the trick.

What are you reading? I'd love to hear so go ahead and leave a comment. I would not, however, love to hear your thoughts on the election. 'Kay?

Snacks


Have you tried this stuff? I'm not sure I should even recommend it because I'm pretty sure it should be against the law. What is not mentioned in the ingredients is that there appears to be some sort of white chocolate or similar glory happening in there. It also doesn't mention that it's illegal. Just to be safe, I'd say hide it from your kids, your husband and any narcotics detectives that might stop by your home.

Speaking of snacks, I need to give you a warning. If you are of a certain age and from a certain state like me, perhaps you are used to just grabbing your favorite salsa off the shelf without using your tired, old eyes to actually read the label because you're sure that Cool Hand Luke would never let you down. Let me warn you so that I can save you from a similar fate. CHECK YOUR LABELS, GRANDMA. Before I watched the Texas Longhorns lose to Cal a few weeks ago, this is what I accidentally ate.


Pineapple Salsa. No bueno. Stop messing with salsa. No more mango. No peach. I do not even want a bean in my salsa. Stop it.  #makesalsanormalagain

What insanely great or completely inappropriate snacks are you enjoying lately? I'd love to hear, so go ahead and leave a comment. I do not care at all which candidate you like or dislike or want to throw your shoe at.

Music



I heard this stunningly beautiful song this summer and I can't get enough of it. I'm so tied up in knots about a million different things lately. "Thy will be done" is pretty much the only phrase that unties all those knots. I think it's worth a listen every.single.morning.

I've also listened to this a few times a week lately. When I don't know what to do which is pretty much all the time lately, I just have to remember to give Him my heart and He'll speak if I listen.



What song unties your knots lately? I'd love to hear, so go ahead and leave a comment. I do not want to know your thoughts on immigration or the Supreme Court or puppets.

Well, friends, I think those are all the thoughts I can write about for today. It's a beautiful day here right outside of our nation's capital. The sun is shining, the sky is blue. It's a perfect day to bust outta here. I'm going to limit my time on the internet today. I'm going to read some books and eat some snacks and listen to some tunes. And also, in the name of keeping it real, I'm going to do some laundry, unload the dishwasher, clean some toilets, pick up a prescription and get my car washed, thus making my Disney Princess Percentage fall even farther. *sigh*

Lastly, I'm going to pray a lot. Thy will be done. Thy will be done. Thy will be done. He holds the whole world in His hands, friends. We're going to be just fine.

Have a great day!!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I haven't read a book in three months, but I will say that I loved the other Fredrik Backman book - a Man called Ove. If this one is anything like that you are in for an enjoyable read. :)
Also, I am not allowed to buy any pumpkin flavored foods anymore because I will eat all. of. it. Pumpkin Granola - I'm looking at you.
:)