Monday, November 14, 2016

Fall Daybook: November 14, 2016


Outside my window:
It's grey and quiet. A bit Monday-ish, I guess. I like it.
I am thinking:
a lot about the Thanksgiving dinner menu. I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner since the very first year I was married in 1995. We have often traveled for Thanksgiving and spent many having BBQ in Austin before heading to the Texas game. I'm excited and nervous to cook this time, but my mom will be here as a back-up so my guys are breathing deep sighs of relief.
I am thankful:
that I kept this four page (actually eight pages - front and back) hand-written letter my mom sent to me back in 1995 when I cooked that dinner. I pulled it out today and my heart almost exploded. My family was very big on handwritten letters back before email. I cannot imagine sitting down to write that many pages out by hand today, but my mom did it because she knew I needed that letter desperately. She gave me instructions on exactly how to prepare everything from the turkey to the gravy to the pumpkin pie  Some of my favorite lines:

Rolls: Heat them. (she clearly knew I needed very specific instructions)
Pumpkin Pie: Just buy a frozen pie. Save yourself the trouble. 
I am anxious for us to get together and really get to know Dan. I know you're going to like him. I hope we don't scare him to death. (At that time Dan and my sister had been dating for three months. Today they've been married for 18 years even though I'm quite sure we scared him.)

What a gift this letter is. I will never lose it.



In the kitchen:
There is a leftover Costco cake that I'm trying to pretend isn't there.
I am wearing:
black running shoes, the only pair of jeans that fit this morning (see above), and a grey tshirt. Pretty Monday-ish
I am listening to:
The Today Show, the washer and dryer spinning approximately six pairs of American Eagle khaki pants and my puppy dog snoring. Again, very Monday-ish.
I am reading:
Well, lately I have had a real hard time pulling away from the train wreck that is the internet/Facebook/Twitter, but this morning I decided that for the rest of the month I will take Facebook off of my phone and actually read a book. So I am reading Truly, Madly, Guilty by Lianne Moriarity. I started it in August but that feels like 100 years ago now, so I started from the beginning last night.
I am going:
To finally get my haircut and highlighted for the first time since July. So all of my people will be singing praise to the Lord because this is absolutely the rock solid truth:



I am hoping:
to try to make this Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Maple Cream Sauce. At Drew's birthday dinner out last week we had White Chocolate Bread Pudding that was so good I can't even talk about it. So, I might give this a shot for Thanksgiving.
I am looking forward to: 
Honestly, I'd say to a time in the hopefully not too distant future when my favorite jeans might fit again. Lord, hear our prayer. And please, Lord, save me from the Costco cake the boys won't let me throw out.
On my Ipod:
I've been listening to The Popcast, a podcast that is totally up my alley and hilarious. The tagline for this podcast is "a weekly podcast about all things pop culture. Our mission is to educate you about things that entertain, but don't matter." YES, PLEASE.
I am praying:
for my country.
I am wondering:
if we are really serious about this fashion statement. I saw this while flipping through Us Magazine at a doctor's office. What is happening here? Have we just decided that JLo can do whatever she wants because I guess I get that. And of all the things the Kardashians have done? This might be the worst.


A quote for today:
"When we intentionally and regularly remember God's work on our behalf, our faith is more likely to weather the storms later on." - Community Bible Study workbook
A verse for today:
"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light," 1 Peter 2:9
One of my favorite things:
A bunch of twelve year olds playing football in the moonlight.

A few plans for the week: 
Basketball season starts up this week for the two youngest boys with practices and scrimmages and Joe will be sending in his final college applications this week. I'm hoping to read and clean and cook and in general prepare for all the giving of all the thanks next week.
A peek into my day:
It's pretty exciting. I won't lie.




No comments: