Friday, December 30, 2016

What's Up Wednesday on a Friday



What's Up Wednesday is a link up that many bloggers participate in on the last Wednesday of the month. It's a fun way to wrap things up and get me writing again. Apparently, because of Christmas week, most folks posted WUW last week. Well, I didn't and it's also not Wednesday. 2016 was nothing if not a year to break all the rules, so I figure I'll just end the year on that note. Here's What's Up Wednesday on a Friday.

What We're Eating this Week

Um. Everything? We had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner  (seafood), our traditional Christmas morning breakfast (Tex Mex breakfast casserole and tamales) and our traditional Christmas evening meal (prime rib and all the things) and now we have our traditional Christmas week food hangover. 


What I'm Reminiscing About


Old Christmas Cards. I think my favorite of all time featured this picture and the caption "All we want for Christmas is a National Championship". Santa (along with Coach Mack Brown and Vince Young) delivered that year. This year, I suppose we'll just head straight into Texas basketball season which isn't looking too promising either. *Sigh*

What I'm Loving

Naps. Since most of our Christmas vacation came after Christmas Day, it has been one of the least stressful holidays ever. It seems I've spent a lot of time in my bed this week. In the middle of the day. My people went to the gym for about three hours on the day after Christmas. I, however, woke up at 8:30 am and then went back to bed at 10:30 am and didn't get out of my pjs until about 3:00 pm. Yesterday I took another nap for 2 hours. I've no idea how I'm going to get back into real life, but I'm not worrying about that right now since I'm too busy sleeping. Jesus came to give us peace and in the days following the celebration of His birth, He delivered. ;-)

What We've Been Up To


Besides napping, we took a trip to the University of Maryland to see a basketball game and walk around the campus. My sweet in-laws took the entire family to see the musical, Wicked, at the Kennedy Center last Friday which even the boy teenagers loved. We hosted some of Steve's high school buddies this week for a dinner and laughed until we could barely breathe. Other than that, we're just in general hanging out with only a few sports obligations here and there. I heart you, Christmas vacation.
What I'm Dreading

I haven't gone running for almost three weeks. I was sick for a week, I was crazy busy the week before Christmas, and well, there's all the aforementioned napping. Today's the day to get back on the horse. I just wish I could actually ride a horse instead of run.

What I'm Working On
Putting the decorations away in a manner that will not make me curse myself when I get them out next year. 

What I'm Excited About

The new year. I think many of us are looking forward to saying, "Later, Skater" to 2016. We'll have some exciting times in 2017 with Joe graduating from high school and Kyle getting a driver's license and basically watching our children do that thing where they keep getting older. Who decided that was a good plan? I suppose "excited" is only one of the millions of feelings I have about 2017.

What I'm Watching/Reading





Nancy and I saw Manchester by the Sea last week which was really good and - just a warning - incredibly, devastatingly sad. Casey Affleck is an amazing actor and you'll get to see Coach Eric Taylor sport a Boston accent, but this film could be a bit too much trauma for some of my friends, so please be mindful if you plan to see it. I also started watching The Crown on Netflix. I'm reading Truly, Madly, Guilty for real this time. I've started it three other times and I have a book called The Mothers on hold at the library for me. I'm hoping that 2017 is going to be the year when I put down my phone and read from real pages again.

What I'm Listening To

Podcasts, podcasts and more podcasts. The Bachelor Preview from Knox and Jamie is pure happiness. They discuss the profile information from the show's website on each of the coming season's bachelorettes. I watched exactly one season of The Bachelor in my life - years and years ago - but I might have to revisit the show just to listen to The Popcast reviews. My favorite part was hearing how many of the contestants would like to swim with dolphins, work with dolphins or actually (and I'm not making this up) be a dolphin. Bless their hearts.

What I'm Wearing




On the morning of Christmas Eve this tshirt from Old Navy arrived on my doorstep. The receipt said that I ordered it. I have no memory of seeing this shirt, much less of ordering it, but it made me happy to wear it while I ran around making things happen on Christmas Eve. 

What I'm Doing This Weekend


We'll celebrate New Year's Eve at Lake Anna and hope the kids will do their annual Polar Plunge by jumping in the lake on New Year's Day. 

What I'm Looking Forward To Next Month


Lots of big celebrations in January. Our 22nd anniversary and Kyle's 16th birthday are on the 7th, my 48th is on the 14th (and I don't mind telling you that I just had to do some math to figure out how old I'll be). We'll be watching the emails for college acceptances and hopefully making some big decisions for Joe. And I'll be praying for as little snow as possible. 

Hope you all had a very merry, very calm and very bright Christmas!



No comments: