Friday, May 26, 2017

Friday Favorites May 26, 2017


Happy Friday, Friends! I've got 5 Favorite Things on a Friday (plus a bonus today). Here we go!

1. Give Me All the Cauliflower Recipes

If you would have told me a year ago that I would have bought as much cauliflower as I have in the past few months I would have thought you were crazy. I shared this recipe a few weeks ago and now I have another one I want to try. I saw Katie Couric make this on The Today Show and I think it looks promising. Also, I saw this about the "use cauliflower as a substitute for all the things" craze and it cracked me right up.

I haven't tried this "risotto", but I'm hoping to this week.

Cauliflower "Risotto" with Wild Mushrooms

1 large head of cauliflower, stem removed, broken into florets
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
8 oz. wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
10 basil leaves, cut into ribbons
aged balsamic vinegar for drizzling

1. Grate the cauliflower florets with a box grater using the large holes or with a food processor with a grating attachment.
2. Blend beans with 1 cup of water until smooth and creamy; set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant about 1 minute. Add the cauliflower "rice" and saute for about 5 minutes or until tender.
4. Deglaze the pan with wine and cook, stirring until the wine is almost dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bean mixture until well combined. Cook the mixture until the risotto is thick and creamy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. To serve, spoon risotto into a warmed serving bowl and garnish with Parmesean cheese and basil ribbons and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.


2.. Neutrogena MoistureSmooth Color Sticks


I've mentioned these lipsticks before and here I go again. I bought a third color this week. My lips have been really chapped lately and these go on really smooth and aren't gummy or chalky. I have the Warm Caramel, the Rich Raisin and as of yesterday, the Berry Brown.


3. Memorial Day Sales!!!



I have not participated in the cold shoulder trend yet, but this dress might be the one to try. It's 40% off at Loft with the code VACAY.



There are a million reasons I can't wear this romper, but if you're up for it, this is adorable and 40% off at Nordstrom.


JCrew is offering 30% with the code SWEET. They have a ton of cute swimsuit coverups including this one.



This cropped sweatshirt is so cute and comes in three colors at Anthropologie on sale.


4. This Song by Ed Sheeran



Has this guy recorded a bad song ever? As we move toward Joe's graduation, I find myself crying at random times on random days. (As if that is different for me on any other season in my life.) As I was driving up to help decorate for the Senior Night baseball game, this song was playing just as I passed the elementary school kids being dismissed. By the time I had watched those little bitty kids with their giant backpacks holding hands with their mamas as they walked home from school, I was a blubbering mess.

I know it's kinda weird because he talks about smoking hand-rolled cigarettes and running from the law and all that stuff. Look, I don't know what to tell you, it just made me cry. I recently read a quote by Brene Brown about her daughter graduating that said, "There's a combination of joy and grief that can take your breath away."

Some days I'm totally fine and some days I just want him to come home already. And he hasn't even left yet.

5. This Song by Third Day




Sometimes we let the wrong words come into our heads and conjure up all kinds of doubt and fear and bad feelings. Sometimes it's words we tell ourselves that are long held lies about who we are. Sometimes we worry too much about what other people think of or say about us - even when they're people who don't even really know us. Sometimes we create a narrative about the future born out of fear even when we know we don't hold the future. I had a whole lot of those "sometimes" this week and then I heard this song while I ran this morning. Sometimes we just need to remember that there are words that are true and real and right.
"Let me hear Your words above all other voices, above all the distractions in this world.
Everything else will fade away, but what will remain are your words."


6. Bonus Baseball


I usually only list 5 Things on a Friday, but I'm throwing in a Bonus #6 since we are blessed enough to get some Bonus Baseball as Joe's team moves into the Regional Playoffs. We travel 4 and a half hours away on Monday to see if we can get another game. Either way, I've loved to watch him play. And I'm so grateful to get one more chance.





Have a blessed Memorial Day Weekend, Everyone.

www,momfessionals.com

1 comment:

Laura Darling said...

Those cauliflower recipes sound go good! Have a great weekend!