Wednesday, November 22, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: November Edition


I'm linking up with Sheaffer Told Me To The Larson Lingo and Mix and Match Mama for What's Up Wednesday today.



What We're Eating This Week



Well, duh. A lot. I'm not hosting Thanksgiving this year, but I'm making my grandmother's cornbread dressing, a corn souffle from my sweet Mississippi born and bred friend, Val, cranberry chutney because I'm super fancy, sausage jack chile balls from here and cinnamon streusal muffins from a box because calm down, Martha Stewart. Your prayers for persistence and running the race with perseverance are much appreciated because now looking at this list, I'm thinking, "No disrespect, Self, but this seems a bit out of your league." I might need to reevaluate these lofty goals.

What I'm Reminiscing About




Kindergarten Thanksgiving Plays

What I'm Loving



The amazing quilt ministry at my church which made this Cowboys quilt for my dad who will have back surgery today. The quilt has threads throughout it which members of our church tied while saying a prayer for his healing and recovery. When my dad has it he will literally be covered in prayer. :-) What a gift.

What We've Been Up To




There's been a whole lot of lazy up in here when all four of my boys are on the sofa watching football, debating football, watching basketball, debating basketball, watching SNL and laughing their tails off while I sit on that chair and read. That translates to a whole lot of happy up in here, too.

What I'm Dreading


As usual, I'm dreading cold weather. Not a fan.

What I'm Working On

I'll be hosting a fundraiser party for our baseball team early in December which will force me to get my Christmas decorations up earlier than usual. I'm hoping to motivate the boys to help me this weekend.

What I'm Excited About




I'll be speaking to the Moms of Littles Group at Arcola Methodist Church on December 6th. I have a heart for mamas with little ones because I can remember very clearly feeling like there would never be a moment when I wasn't wondering if someone had just scaled the kitchen cabinets to sit on top of the refrigerator while I was just trying to go to the bathroom. Remember when taking a shower seemed like a vacation? And do you remember how much pressure we put on ourselves during the Christmas season to make everything perfect? Boy, was I in the weeds back then. I can't wait to meet these mamas. For more information go here.

What I'm Watching




Thanksgiving week has turned into cook, read, watch tv, repeat around here. Steve, Joe and I started watching The Americans on Monday. Then yesterday I watched three episodes of Last Chance U while I was cooking all the things. This show is absolutely my jam. I'm guessing I will blow off a lot of stuff to watch this series in the next few weeks.

What I'm Reading




I finished Gabrielle Union's memoir, We're Going To Need More Wine and I really, really enjoyed her stories. She warns readers from the get-go that she can tend toward some language which is true. She tackles some really tough subjects and is real and honest and funny. I learned some things from her experience and really, if we're not learning something, what in the world is the point, right?



I just started Melanie Shankle's Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life which I've had for well over a month, but keep putting off because it's one of those books that I know I'll read so fast that I'll be sad when it's over. She is perhaps my very favorite blogger and author because she is so funny, so insightful and absolutely seems like someone who could be your best friend. I have only read the first few chapters and I already highly recommend it.

What I'm Listening To




Again,  I can't seem to get enough of podcasts and this month was no different. I recently listened to this episode of Jen Hatmaker's For the Love podcast. She talks with two women who escaped their tragic childhoods in polygamist cults and their stories are fascinating. Both have books that sound really good: The Polygamist's Daughter and The Sound of Gravel.

What I'm Wearing




I thought this sweatshirt was so cute and perfect for eating all the Thanksgiving things this week. I will probably wear it today through Sunday.


Then I just found this cute similar one for a lot less at Zulily. 

What I'm Doing This Weekend



We're moving into hoops season and I'm so excited. This little 2nd grade Celtic has a Varsity basketball scrimmage which seems really odd because I still picture him like this. Drew will have a tournament. We'll enjoy having Joe around and then drive him back to State College on Sunday. :(

What I'm Looking Forward To Next Month

A trip to Orlando with the Varsity basketball team, and oh you know, the baby Jesus. :-)

What Else Is New

These Gold Cork Leather earrings from Nickel and Suede. My earring game is pretty basic. I can't wear heavy earrings because they drive me crazy and make me feel like I'm going to end up with Eeyore ears. Usually when I try to wear anything more interesting than hoops or studs, I feel like I'm trying too hard. I took a leap on these and they're really lightweight and they come in three different sizes.  I got the smallest ones and they are still bigger than most of my earrings, but I'm loving them. 

Bonus Question for the month: What is your favorite Elf on the Shelf Idea?

It is one of the most gracious blessings of my life that the annoying  and creepy little Elf bulldozed its way into homes and Pinterest boards around the world just a tad too late for my kids. I have zero ideas. Thank you, Sweet Jesus.

Have a great Thanksgiving, Friends. I sure am thankful for those of you who stop by here!

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: