Friday, November 10, 2017

5 Friday Favorites: November 10, 2017 Edition



I am so happy to see Friday come this week. Even though we had two days off of school, it seemed like a really long, stressful week, so I'm ready for the weekend. Even when you're not feeling like your best self during certain weeks, there is usually some light to find, even if that light comes in the form of a really awesome eyelash curler. Here are some of my favorite things from my not-so-favorite week.


1. Still by Hillary Scott & The Scott Family



Like I said, this was one of those weeks when every little thing seemed overwhelming to me and every big thing seemed practically impossible. I spent so much time worrying that I might as well have just built myself a prayer closet and lived in it all week. One morning I woke up feeling so burdened that I made a list in my journal of all the things - from the smallest tasks that were weighing on me to the biggest fears I had. Let's just say the list was loooonnngggg. Then I went to our good friend, Google, and typed in "Bible verses about Worrying" and read all of them. Later that day I heard this song and I must have listened to it 30 times. As I sit here this morning in the stillness, I find that the Lord has taken care of at least half of that list. He is faithful. He is good. I am grateful.

2. Old Navy Open Front Long Line Sweater


Cold weather has finally arrived here in Northern Virginia, so it's time for sweaters, boots and more pumpkin spice flavored things than are reasonable. I've mentioned before that I have a hard time finding sweaters that I can wear because I appear to have an allergy to wool, so I was happy to find this long cardigan at Old Navy. It's thin enough to wear inside your heated house all day, comes in lots of colors and is a great length - not overwhelming if you're a short person like yours truly. Bonus: it is marked down to $17.50 from the original $34.99. I got the color on the model above which is referred to online as "mauve". I guess the Old Navy folks are color blind because in my Texas Longhorn mind, mauve is a maroon-Texas Aggie-type color and I am forbidden from wearing anything in that hue for all of eternity by my people. This is actually an oatmeal color and I've worn it all day long for two days in a row.

3. Marathon: The Patriot's Day Bombing


We had two days off of school this week and it was cold and dreary, so we spent a lot of time inside reading and watching movies. I had heard great things about this HBO documentary and it's been sitting in our DVR queue for months, so Steve and I finally watched it. This is such a heartbreaking, maddening, yet beautifully triumphant story of some of the survivors of the Boston bombing. It is definitely worth your time.



4. Baked Sesame Ginger Chicken




I got this recipe from the Whole 30 Instagram page and it was created by Kristen at The Endless Meal. All of my people loved it and it is totally Whole 30 compliant - no bad stuff.

8 Chicken Drumsticks or Thighs
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 heaping teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (I accidentally used 3 Tablespoons. I think it was good idea.)
1 heaping teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
Optional: 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chicken in a medium-sized bowl and toss with the sesame oil. In a small bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the chicken and toss to coat. Place the chicken on the baking sheet, skin side up and bake for 45 minutes

5. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler







I don't know what's going on these days, but I can't help but notice that some women out there have upped their game considerably in the eyelash department. I have become obsessed with eyelashes  because I feel like everyone from my dental hygienist to the cashier at the grocery store has stunning lashes. The other night I could barely concentrate on ordering my cheeseburger because I was staring at my waitress's lashes. I know that some folks are getting extensions and false eyelashes professionally applied and that there are all manner of serums out there that make your lashes grow. Sometimes I think it's overdone and I'm not sure I'm up for that, plus I'm especially hesitant to spend a gazillion dollars on some magic potion. So here's my question for you, dear reader. What is your mascara of choice? Do you get extensions? How long do they last? Is it expensive? Does it hurt? Someone told me that they tape your eyes closed for an hour. Um, no thanks.

Anyway, right now this is my eyelash game: cheap mascara from the drugstore and this Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler - by far the best I've used in my lifetime. I have never been completely loyal to one brand of mascara, but I'm liking this one right now. That is a total bill of around $26.00 so you can see that I'm a super fancy big spender. Comment below if you have eyelash ideas!


Well, that's about it for a week I'm glad to see go down in the history books. Have a great weekend, everybody!

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

1 comment:

Jaclyn @coffeepancakesanddreams said...

I have that same old navy cardigan...love that it's lightweight! Also love my eyelash curler too. Have a great weekend!