Wednesday, December 20, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: December 2017 Edition








I'm linking up with Sheaffer Told Me To The Larson Lingo and Mix and Match Mama for What's Up Wednesday today.


What We're Eating This Week

Because of our ridiculous sports schedule we are not always together for a family meal, but we do the best we can. For many years, we have been really protective of our Sunday night steak dinners, so it was really great to have Joe home from college for our Sunday night dinner this week. I'm certain I have mentioned this Warm Spinach Basil Salad that my mother-in-law introduced me to years ago, but we had it Sunday night and I'm guessing we'll do it again for Christmas dinner. It is so good and seems a little fancier than your regular cold salad.

6 cups spinach
2 cups basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts (or more)
4 oz. prosciutto, diced
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup parmesean cheese, grated

Toss spinach and basil together in a large salad bowl. Heat oil in medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pine nuts and saute until nuts begin to brown slightly. Stir in prosciutto and cook one minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Toss spinach and basil with warm dressing and sprinkle with cheese.

What I'm Reminiscing About




All three of my boys went to the same Mother's Morning Out program. Every year they did the same wooden ornaments that they painted and covered with glitter. I wonder if they still do the same ones even 16 years since Joe was there. I love pulling these out every year and thinking back on their chubby cheeks and sticky hands and sloppy kisses. 

What I'm Loving


When we're able to convince the boys to join in on a family movie night that does not involve a movie about war, rappers or sports. I will say that when they heard that It's a Wonderful Life was a black and white movie at least one of them acted as if we were asking him to watch Cinderella, but they all watched it last night with us and my in-laws and they all lasted through the whole thing. How amazing is the look of gratitude and wonder on Jimmy Stewart's face? This is one of the most perfect Christmas movies. It makes me cry every darn time.

What We've Been Up To


Steve and I were lucky to get a chance to escape to Florida when Kyle and his high school basketball team traveled there last week for a tournament. Actually, besides during the games, during that trip we saw our son for approximately 2.5 minutes and he spoke approximately 17 words to us. Such is life with a 16 year old on a trip with his squad. In the end I didn't mind at all, as it turned out to be a really fun and necessary few days for Steve and me to have time together. 


I'm not one to get too mushy about my husband because he is the least mushy person on the planet, but sometimes it is really important to get away from the routine and stress of parenting and work and remember why you even started out on this whole marriage thing in first place. Sometimes it's easy to forget that you actually have a darn good time together. My husband still makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. I'm so grateful.


Also, I'm sure at this point you're as stunned as I am that Kyle wouldn't want to hang out with me in Orlando.

What I'm Dreading

I've gone running exactly twice in three weeks. I'm not sure it's going to go so well when I start back at it. That first time out after a long stretch of laziness is usually about like this.


What I'm Working On


I received a new box from Stitch Fix which had some really cute pieces in it including this olive satchel by Octavia which will be wrapped and put under the tree as a "surprise" to me from my husband. I'm hoping to post about it this week. If you a still need a gift for someone, you can easily still get them a gift card - even just an email sent right to them - to set up and try Stitch Fix. They have a program for men, too. I got this as a gift from my sister-in-law for Christmas a few years ago and it's one of my favorite gifts ever. 

What I'm Excited About


We are headed to DC this week to check out the newly opened Museum of the Bible. I've heard some wonderful things about it and I can't wait.

What I'm Watching


I'm beside myself with glee that the 2nd season of The Crown has started. I'm trying to watch it slowly so that I won't be so sad when it's over. I watched the first episode and it is so good. This on top of the Meghan and Harry news is just about more than I can take. 

What I'm Reading


I just downloaded this book to my Kindle. I've had numerous people suggest it.



Also, I heard recently ordered this book. I heard it suggested as one that would be good for those who might not be looking forward to the holiday season. I have a lot of friends who will be spending their first Christmas with an empty seat at the table and a number who are suffering through the emptiness for yet another season with not a shred of evidence that time heals all wounds. It occurs to me I should have ordered quite a few of these. :(


What I'm Listening To


Nichole  Nordeman's Every Mile Mattered on repeat. Favorites: Sound of Surviving, Dear Me and No Longer.

What I'm Wearing


You'll be shocked to know that I'm wearing this plaid flannel shirt from American Eagle. I cannot stop with the plaid shirts. I need help. Also, Articles of Society jeans similar to these and these shoes.

What I'm Doing This Weekend



What I'm Looking Forward to Next Month


Having Joe around for the first week or so, watching my two youngest guys play some hoops and celebrating this guy's 17th birthday and our 23rd wedding anniversary. We have lots of joyful celebrations in January to take the sting out of the cold, dark weather.

What Else is New


There's a new ornament on the tree this year. A gift from my college boy. I hung it just a tad below another ornament because I can't help myself. 

Hook Em Horns
We Are...
and also,
Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: