Friday, March 23, 2018

5 Friday Favorites: It's My Mom's Birthday Edition


Hi, Friends! It's Friday! And it's time for my Friday link up with A Little Bit of EverythingGrace and Love, and Momfessionals. And it's Spring Break in my neck o' the woods. I am so excited I can barely stand it. Also, if this gets posted today, it will be the first time that The View From Behind Home Plate is coming to you straight from a moving car because a wifi hotspot is a wonder. This will only happen if yours truly does not get carsick or if someone doesn't spill a drink on my laptop or if I am actually able to concentrate whilst listening to all the sports talk radio ever broadcast. That's a lot of "ifs" and it doesn't sound very promising.

Let's try it anyway. Here are a few of my favorite things this week.

1. #1 Favorite of All Time Any Week of the Year: MY MOM

It's my mom's birthday. She's the best person I've ever known. Ever. So today the rest of my favorites are related to my mom in some way, shape or form. 

2. "Just put on a little lipstick & blush and you'll feel better."
-My mom, anytime I was ever sad, angry, disappointed or feeling too many feelings.  (she usually added other stuff, but this was first.)

I was listening to the Big Boo Cast recently and Melanie and Sophie were discussing beauty products, as they do. Melanie mentioned that she came by her vanity honestly since she had come from a long line of vain Texas women. This was an "A-Ha" moment of sorts for me because SAME OVER HERE, SISTER. Due to my honest vanity and my increasing age, I have been hyper - interested in all the products lately. Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Color Sticks are by far my favorite lipsticks. I have four different colors. Also, this month at Ulta you can buy three mini size products and get a fourth free. Yes, please. Here are some of the things I got yesterday.










3. "Readers are leaders."




My mom and I share a love of reading. I'm pretty sure I never heard her say, "Readers are leaders." but I think she'd be down with that statement. Recently I heard someone mention that we should really make an effort to read books by authors of different races, cultures and/or faiths. I was nodding vigorously in agreement to that statement. Then, I realized I was in the middle of reading Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush - two white girls, each whose sister is her best friend, born in Texas to a Republican family, one of whom actually went to the same college as me and joined the same sorority as me and also became a teacher like me. Hmmm. I'm not saying I shouldn't have read and/or enjoyed that book, but perhaps a move in a different direction was in order for the next book on my list. I have been hearing about this book, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas for months. It is categorized as a Young Adult novel, but I think it is absolutely important for adults. I am only about a quarter of the way through it, but I am finding it really compelling and again, for a girl who grew up with very little diversity in her life, this book is very important. Here is the synopsis per Amazon.

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.


 4.  Wonderfully Made by Ellie Holcomb


My mom taught me that I am wonderfully made and never doubts that I can do all the good things I want to do. I know that I am lucky that I had a mom who believed I was valuable because so many do not have that experience growing up. And yet, even with that upbringing, I find it hard sometimes to remember all the important things that Lord has in store for me and that I am worthy of His belief in me. That's why I'm more grateful that my mom taught me about Jesus because I know that even when she's gone, I know who to look toward to know my worth. This song by Ellie Holcomb reminds us the truth of Psalm 139:14. It makes me weep. Yes indeed, Lord, "Help me to see me just like you see me." 

5. Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas


https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/2015/01/chicken-enchiladas-with-sour-cream-white-sauce/
My mom makes some amzing things but these chicken enchiladas are a family favorite. So good.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
4 whole chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 large onion, chopped
1 can diced green chiles
1/2 jar of green taco sauce
1 pound of grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 pint sour cream
1 cup chicken broth
1 pint half and half
1 Tablespoon butter
1 dozen flour tortillas

Saute onions in butter.  Add chicken, chiles, taco sauce and 3/4 of grated cheese.  Heat until cheese melts.  Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Keep warm. 
Heat broth and half and half on low in skillet.  Soak each tortilla to soften.  Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of chicken mix into tortilla and roll up.  Place seam side down in buttered casserole dish.  Pour remaining broth/half and half over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.  Bake in oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

PS This photo is not of my mom's enchiladas. But they look pretty close. Click the caption on the photo to see that recipe.

Have a great weekend, everyone! Happy Birthday, Mom!!!


Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com



1 comment:

Joan S said...

This was such a sweet homage to your mother. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Ulta promotion, and podcast recommendation!

I come by my vanity honestly too, and have every product known to man......almost.

I am planning to catch up on your blog as it’s my first visit here. Really enjoyed this post.