Wednesday, April 25, 2018

(Beauty) Shop Talk

Let us officially subtitle this post, Where my pre-menopausal ladies at?

(Pause. We need to give my mom a minute because she thinks I forgot one of the most important lessons she has ever taught me and that is not to end a sentence with a preposition. Take a breath, Mom. I know the rule. We pre-menopausal women are doing our darndest to be hip, 'kay? Pretty sure the words "darndest" and "hip" have just sunk our hopes, but we will soldier on.)

Today at The View From Behind Home Plate we're going to discuss as many serums, scrubs, lotions, creams and any and all witchcraft that anyone might suggest in a yet another edition of What Are You Putting on Your Face?. I think it's going to be super fun.

Unless this isn't fun for you. And in that case here is a warning/disclaimer/note/ridiculously long missive.

Last week in my Bible Study our leader asked us to bring a photo of ourselves as children. I brought this one.


Later she asked us to write a letter to that child. My initial thought was to tell that 7 year old girl that I wished she could stay right there in her confident, precious, little head. I would tell her not to believe a single thought she told herself from about the age of 14 to the age of 25. Because her head was full of lies. 1st grader Jenn didn't notice that one strand of her hair wasn't in her barrette. She didn't know that purple really isn't her best color. She didn't wish her thighs were smaller or her boobs were bigger or her chin was less prominent. She was perfect in every way and I'm pretty sure she believed it.

She believed that because it's what her parents told her and what her Bible told her even if she hadn't read that part yet. Unfortunately, there was a period of time that she forgot all of it. She wasted so much time focusing on the outside of herself and never was able to meet the ideal that she had created in her mind that she should be. There was a furious counting of calories and fat grams and ounces and pounds. There was a hyper-focus on the number on the scale and her absolute certainty that a 1/2 pound would make her a better person.

That was my life for so many years and it was exhausting. I am always aware that it has the real potential to be my life still, but there has been a shift in my focus for the past twenty or so years. I'm not sure I can point to any one factor that made that go away, but I am healed of that obsession for the most part.

And yet I cannot tell a lie. I still think about appearance. There are days - even very recent days - that I've had to talk myself out of too much focus on the lines near my eyes or the spider veins that have taken over my legs or the muffin top that sneaks over my waistband. I do not, however, obsess over it for hours upon hours and days upon days. Some days I am better at being mature and evolved and reciting that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, and some days not so much.

When the stuff about appearance and weight starts to bother me to a dangerous degree, I talk to my sister or I talk to my mom or I go for a run or I write and sometimes I do all of those things until I've pulled myself out of it. And sometimes I just go to the magic, self-esteem booster of instagram and make a really dumb face, take a selfie and filter the heck out it. ;-)


Look. That right there is not even close to my real skin. Y'all know that everyone on insta-stories is filtering the fire out of themselves, right? Listen to me. My 49 year old eye sight is so bad right now that there is no way I could see enough to put that cat-eye eyeliner on. If I did that in real life someone would be calling the police on my husband because I would definitely look like I'd been punched in the eye.

I say all this to tell you that if this kind of talk makes you feel itchy and anxious? If it makes you focus on things that take you away from understanding your real worth and the honest truth that you are wonderfully made, by all means, I'll catch you next time.

But, if you've come a long way, baby, and if most days you, like me, have found that dishing about beauty products and skin care stuff is just plain ol' fun, then stay with me. Or if living with boys means the only products you get to buy on the regular are body wash, deodorant and - if we're really getting fancy - hair gel, then take a seat right here, Girlfriend.

Now then. After that super long introduction, here's what I've been into lately.





I got a facial recently and I was told that I should use lactic acid on my face. It apparently is an exfoliant that helps with hyperpigmentation and age spots and improves a dull and uneven complexion. Sign me up!

A blogger that I follow recently recommended a line of products called The Ordinary and the prices are incredible. Like if this stuff really works, I will be equal parts thrilled and really, really angry at all the other people who charge so much for little bitty bottles of their magic. I ordered The Ordinary  Lactic Acid . I can't tell you if it has made me look like the filtered picture yet. We'll see, but at only $14.36, I feel fine about this little experiment.




Also, I have mentioned the it Confidence in a Cream moisturizer I fell in love with recently. It has a great thick consistency and absorbs quickly so that you don't feel like it is sitting on your face all night. My skin really feels better since I've been using it.




I have been using Rodan and Fields products for about 18 months now. They are really pricey, but I do like some of their products a lot. I especially like this Daily Cleansing Mask although I don't use it everyday because I think that's too often for my skin.


I also use the Rodan and Fields Multi-Function Eye Cream and the Night Renewing Serum.


About three weeks ago, I started using LashBoost, also from Rodan and Fields. It seems eye lashes are a thing right now. I've heard of eyelash lifts and eyelash extensions and all kinds of mascara that claim to lengthen and thicken. I've seen actual real results on real people who have used this, so I have very high hopes.



Speaking of, I bought a trial size of Too Faced Better than Sex mascara recently and I really like it a lot. The name makes me roll my eyes out of my head because come on, y'all. A friend and I were talking recently about how ridiculous and embarrassing make-up companies are with their product names. We were walking out of Bible Study when she very discreetly showed me her lip gloss.

Hey, Make-Up Namer People: Take a cold shower and settle down, 'kay? We shouldn't have to worry about our products accidentally falling out of our purse, rolling down the aisle in the house of the Lord and bursting into flames. Thanks.



I am a huge fan of this Smashbox Photo Finish primer. I mostly just like how it feels going on and seems to smooth out your face before you put on foundation.


I kept reading that this foundation blender was so incredible, but then I bought this one from L'Oreal for much less because seriously, IT'S A SPONGE. $19.00? Puh-lease. This one seems to work great.


I've always had my eyebrows waxed but never used a pencil or anything else. I bought this elf eyebrow kit for close to nothing. It's helped a lot.



Also, this is going down a different road, but I have recently heard and/or read about the benefits of Collagen Peptide Powder, so I started putting it in my coffee and smoothies. It has no taste and it blends well with cold or hot liquids. Here's the thing about this and any other new "wellness" thing I give a try. Last week, my friend, Lisa, and I were discussing the collagen powder and she asked me what the benefits were and I sat there for a minute thinking and then told her that actually, I really couldn't remember. So I had to go look it up even though I've been using it for a couple of weeks. For that reason, let's assume it's not good for memory. Actually, it is supposed to benefit bones and joints, stamina, and skin, hair and nails. I'm pretty skeptical, but I'm giving it a shot.

Well, that's where I've been throwing my cash and all my hopes and dreams, lately, friends.

Your turn to help a sister out. Fill up the comment box. Whatta you got? 1, 2, 3 go.



Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com

No comments: