Friday, May 18, 2018

5 Friday Favorites: May 18, 2018



Happy Friday, Friends!

It's time for my Friday link up with A Little Bit of EverythingGrace and Love, and Momfessionals

Here are some of my favorite things from this week.

1. Harry and Meghan Lifetime Special




It's been raining here for about 532 days in a row. Yesterday morning it was pouring, so I thought it was the perfect time to stay in my pajamas until noon, do some laundry and watch Harry and Meghan: A Royal Romance on Lifetime. And also I'm preparing for this wedding like it's my job, so let's not pretend I wouldn't have done that if I had no laundry to do and it wasn't raining. Was the great majority of the movie completely cheesy, embellished and probably straight up nonsense? Yes. Were there a number of lines that made me cringe/eye roll/hide my face in embarrassment? Yes. Did I cry at the end and decide that Harry and Meghan were pretty much my very best friends? Um, yes.

Also, I had to endure a commercial about 17 times where Katherine Heigel, who used to have a sweet gig as Izzy on Grey's Anatomy until she apparently made everyone on the show mad, decides that massive chandelier earrings and a gold evening gown are the perfectly appropriate attire in which to sell the viewing audience some cat litter.



And the last thing I'll say about the Lifetime special is that I also decided on my next Friday Favorite soley based on that movie. Proceed.

2. OPI Alpine Snow Nail Polish 


Poor distraught Fake Meghan has just realized that she's made a massive mistake in breaking up with Harry and she will now race to the airport and convince some random airport attendant to stop his plane from taking off. As you do, of course. This little bit of fiction is not what peaked my interest in this particular scene. It's the nail polish.


I don't know if Alpine Snow is what Fake Meghan is wearing here or if Real Meghan is going to wear this color nail polish tomorrow, but I can tell you that I found it at Target yesterday and it's going to match my navy and white pjs and brand new wedding fascinator courtesy of the Lovely and Talented Mrs. C. perfectly.

Also if you're wondering if my boys are finding me very confusing and difficult to live with this week as I keep moving the channel from ESPN to Lifetime and the BBC, the answer is yes and also, what comes around goes around, jokers.


3. Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Seasoning




My family has fallen in love with this seasoning from Trader Joe's. You can put it on anything. I've put it on scrambled eggs, on avocado toast, on popcorn and on the cream cheese on my bagel which seems really dumb, but it's awesome. I find that sadly not everyone has a Trader Joe's in their town, so the great news is I found this stuff on Amazon right here and if you have Prime you can get tomorrow. The internet is a wonder, y'all.

PS And also a rip-off. This stuff only costs $1.99 at Trader Joe's, so while it's awesome, I'm not sure it's worth the $6.00 price tag at Amazon.


4. Hello Mornings by Kat Lee



I've had this book, Hello Mornings by Kat Lee, for a number of months now and I might have even mentioned it on the blog before. I just started reading it again because of a decision I made last week to get up 30 minutes earlier than I had been in order to foster a habit to make my day run more smoothly. That means 5:30 am for me. I love sleep. I'm actually really, really good at sleeping. It's really annoying to my husband. There is no doubt though that getting up earlier and maintaining a routine last week made every day better. I really need a lot of time alone in the morning before my people get up to pray, to write, to come up with the day's schedule . . . all of the things. I know I won't do this everyday, but I think it's worth a shot. Here are a few passages from the book that I've highlighted so far (and I've only read two chapters):

*How do we live wildly, bravely, and exceptionally in the midst of the ordinary? We do it by living with wild, exceptional excellence in the small things, remembering that the habits we foster and the character we build along with the way are the heart of our greatest triumphs. 

*Decide that who you are becoming is more important than what you have to do to get there. (paraphrased) 

*I've learned to wake up for my life instead of just to my life.

Really good stuff here, right? I'm looking forward to reading more . . . perhaps very early in the morning. :-)

5. When Your Husband Goes to a Conference in Dallas the Week Before Mother's Day

I was lucky to get this hat as a gift on Sunday because Steve just so happened to be in the DFW airport two days before Mother's Day. And since, as I mentioned, it has rained every day this week, I've been wearing it a ton. If Texas Forever is not your thing, first of all, I'll keep you in my prayers ;-) and second, you can find a lot of other cute trucker hats by Katydid here.


Well, that's it for this week. I have to go look up a recipe for Tequila Sunrise Mimosas now. I hope you enjoy the Royal Wedding immensely tomorrow. You can rest assured that some of my girls and I will be annoying the fire out of my boys as we gather here to watch the festivities at 6:00 am, critique every single person's attire, try to be the first to point out Elton John, and scan the crowd to see if any of Harry's exes show up.

If you're one of those Debbie Downers (see Steve, Joe, Kyle, and Drew Skinner) who think it's all a bunch of trivial nonsense then by all means, carry on with your super-important, non-frivolous weekend agenda. Have a blast. We're going to bask in the bloody foolishness for as long as we can. Cheerio, Friends!

Disclosure: The View From Behind Home Plate is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn small fees by linking to amazon.com.

1 comment:

Ascott said...

I have got to watch the Ifetime movie before tomorrow and I love that polish! Also, please post tequila sunrise mimosa recipe!