Wednesday, May 16, 2018

That Time I Missed The BonJovi Concert, Mother's Day & Other Happenings

Hey, Friends.

I don't have a whole lot of excitement to tell you about from the past week, but I feel itchy when I don't write so I'm taking a little time at the keyboard today. The most important event that happened this week is, in reality, a thing that didn't happen at all and it's still haunting me.


I didn't go to Bon Jovi on Monday night when he was here in DC for the last stop on his tour.

"You, like, cannot be serious, like, can you?", my 17 year old spiral-permed-self says in disbelief. "So, like, what, like, happened? Where, like, were you? You weren't at, like, a baseball game or in a basketball gym, like, AGAIN, were you?"


It will be necessary for me to stay off of "the socials" for the rest of the week because I have lots of (former) friends who went and it's as if everyone and her sister has gone directly to Facebook and has been relentlessly "BONJOVI!!!" - ing at me for days. There are photos of pure happiness and videos of Jon singing all my favorite songs and pictures of girls drinking margaritas before the concert at Rosa Mexicano across the street from the Verizon Center. Or maybe it's called Capital One Arena. Or maybe the Enormous Random Corporation Bowl. I don't even know. As far as I'm concerned, it's called "The Place Where Jenn Skinner Wasn't". I haven't missed his stop in DC in the last five tours. I'm certain Jon was looking for me everywhere.


My 17 year old self is like totally shaking her head so furiously now that her chip clip is about to fly out. She's already alarmed that I ended up with some guy who is like, what is it again? Like, a business consultant? Whaaa? I mean if I didn't marry Jon, I could have at least married some guy named Tommy that used to work on the dock. And now to know that I didn't even go to the concert when Jon was in my general vicinity is, like, gonna make 17 year old Jenn totally have a cow.

Let's just move on.


I actually spent Monday evening watching this kid play basketball and if you want to know the truth that means that as of today I have watched this kid play five basketball games in the past three days and I've got another one to go tonight. As much as I have enjoyed spending so many Mother's Days over the years on the baseball field, I could not have loved being in the gym watching this one play more. And honestly that even includes when I watched him on Monday night with Jon singing "Wanted Dead or Alive" just miles down the road.

17 year old me just rolled her eyes, said, "Gag me with a spoon. I'm gonna totally barf." and left to curl her bangs.

Anyway, it was very exciting as there was a moment on Saturday when the game was tied with 8 seconds left and Kyle made the winning shot just before the buzzer sounded right over a guy who'd been smack-talking for most of the game. I actually for once in my life captured it on video which is awesome except for the fact that the video also recorded my very measured response cackling and cheering like a demented psycho after the ball went in the basket. I sent my sister the video and she sent this back to me.


It's important to have people in your life who'll call you on your crazy.

Let's move on.

In other news, Joe's home from college and this is his hamper.



Let's move on.

Speaking of having Joe home, since he is my movie buddy, we went to see The Avengers: Infinity Wars with the understanding that I can pick the next movie we see. Let me tell you about The Avengers. Do not fear because I can't spoil it for you because this is how I feel about that movie.

Why so many superheroes? Just. So. Many. I can't keep track of them all which causes me to ask about 700 questions and I'm sure that was super fun for Joe. When 17 year old Jenn went to the movies, she would prop her doubled layered socks and Keds up on the seat in front of her and only needed one superhero and one bad guy. Now 49 year old Jenn is watching a movie where every single person on the screen turns into a superhero. So, I'm feeling like an old geezer because after awhile you realize that there are multiple people who can start shooting lasers out of some area of his/her body at any moment. And really, if you've seen one girl wearing a knit cap hanging out next to a kabob place turn her hands into Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer killer light bulbs, then really haven't you seen them all?



Let's move on.

I did have a nice Mother's Day. Since my husband is really on top of things and made a reservation the day before, we got the coveted 4:00 pm slot for dinner at an amazing restaurant at the Georgetown Harbor. The boys were just as tickled about this as you can imagine since that meant they would miss the Celtics playoff game at 3:30 pm. Unfortunately, there was not a seniors early bird discount for MawMaw and PawPaw and their three sons, but it was really good food and a great atmosphere.

As I told the boys after we ate, the silver lining of having an early dinner was that all the shops in Georgetown would still be open so that we could make our way up M Street so that we could do some shopping. You can imagine how excited they all were about this. That's why I took this special photo of their utter joy as they practically sprinted up the street so that they could get back to the car to hear the end of the game on the radio to get to their beloved mom's favorite store, Anthropologie.


Unfortunately, the Anthropologie was closed for renovations. I felt like this was a total bummer for all of us, so that's why it was weird when I'm pretty sure I saw Steve and all the boys react like this:


Seriously, though, they were all really good sports about the whole thing. In the end, I got to do almost all of my favorite things which mostly include hanging out with my guys. It's been a great week having everyone home.

I know sometimes we mamas set ourselves up for really high expectations for Mother's Day weekend and sometimes our humans don't always meet them. I also know that sometimes Mother's Day Weekend is painful for all kinds of reasons for many women. No matter what, I hope you had a peaceful weekend and that your May is going well. And if not, I'll just leave you this.


Shot through the heart, right? You're welcome.

Have a great Wednesday!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I get the giggles everytime I read your blog and I want to thankyou for that.

Unknown said...

Awesome. I’ve missed your blog. And you too.