Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Talking Points: How to Support Your Youth Athlete this Season

I've been around the horn a few times as a mom of three current and/or former baseball players and the wife of a youth coach.

All three of my boys started playing baseball as 5 year olds with tee ball. We've played travel ball and Little League. We've frequented hitting lessons, pitching lessons, catchers' clinics and strength and agility training. Over the past fifteen years or so, I have sat in bleachers and fold up chairs and the waiting rooms of indoor facilities countless times. Add in as many years on the sidelines of a basketball court and that means I have seen or heard every sort and type of sports parent. And if I'm honest, I have, in fact, been every sort and type of sports parent - good and bad - at one time or another myself.

If you have happened here on this blog you're likely involved in youth sports in some way, so I don't have to tell you that there are a zillion and one opinions about how to be a reasonable, supportive, sports parent. I am certain that there are folks with fancy degrees and legitimate professional training who could give advice much more effectively than me on how to successfully parent a student athlete. 

So, at the outset, let me say it loud and clear: Despite having been involved for so many years, I am not an expert on being any kind of parent. I'm pretty sure as soon as you name yourself an expert in anything you have set yourself up for spectacular failure. I have gotten things wrong over and over again when counseling my kids and I imagine that my future parenting moments will be wrought with mistakes. What I have is just a little bit of time behind me and a heckuva a lot of hours sitting behind home plate.

READ THE REST HERE.

No comments: