Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Evening Daybook: August 6

Outside my window:
Is the parking lot of a Starbucks.

I am thinking:
about breaks from blogging and facebook and texting and email.  I definitely think that social media can be a really bad force in the world at times and also a really good force in the world at times.  I definitely think that writing is good for me.  I also definitely think that taking breaks from both are good for me.

I am thankful:
for family, laughter, boat rides on the lake, s'mores by a campfire, learning to wakeboard, and did I mention, laughter?


In the kitchen:
Well, I'm afraid that after a week of hotels and baseball games and 10 days of vacation I might need to go here again.  Yippee.

I am wearing:
Shorts, white top and glasses...seems I'm wearing these glasses more and more often and not just for reading.  Time for an optometrist appointment...blah.

I am going:
to get back into routine this week.  I love vacation.  I love my people visiting.  I had a wonderful week and now I NEED routine: physically, mentally and spiritually.  NEED it.

I am reading:
I've read Ephesians and I've read some magazines...I just can't seem to get into anything.  I NEED a new book, too.

I am hoping:
for peace that transcends understanding for someone who due to very difficult circumstances has every reason to find peace elusive.  I am hoping that God can do big things in these circumstances.  Giant things, actually.  Miraculous things.  And do I believe that He can?  I am hoping to...hoping to believe, I guess.

I am looking forward to:
spending time with some local friends who I haven't seen much since we've all been scattered this summer. 

I am wondering:
if I would've ever believed what a strong and wonderful relationship my children would have with their cousins and aunts and uncles and their grandparents even though we go long stretches without being together.  Love is stronger than distance and time.  "Love is the greatest of these", huh?


I am learning:
how very far the apple can fall from the tree.  It can fall WAY far and roll down the hill.  When I was 13, I was busy trying get a perfect tan by timing my sunbathing by the pool: 15 minutes/front; 15 minutes/back.  If I wasn't doing that I was probably dialing up my Dial-A-Lash mascara to #10 and applying my purple Maybelline eyeshadow until my dad told me to wipe that stuff off.  I can tell you that there is NO chance I would've slept on a cot and shared a bathroom with 30 people.  (Maybe a post on what a whiny baby I was to come - ugh) I know that my 13 year old is far from perfect and so are most teenagers, but I also know that he and A LOT of other teenagers were getting up at 6:30 am and building houses in the hot sun a couple of weeks ago.  Little bit proud, I am...little bit.


I am praying:
for all of my people to get home safely back to Texas and California and that God will keep them safe and sound until we are together again.

I am pondering:
"The idea of prayer is not to get answers from God;  prayer is perfect and complete oneness with God.  We are not here to prove God answers prayer;  we are here to be living monuments of God's grace." - Oswald Chambers

One of my favorite things:
3rd time's a charm.


A few plans for the week:
Run more, eat less, read with my kids, play with my kids and go on a date with the biggest kid.

I am listening to:
a John Mayer song playing in the Starbucks...John Mayer is perfect for Starbucks and perfect for my mood right now.  Love John Mayer.

On my Ipod:
By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North (this song came on the radio last summer when Joe and I left the Quarterfinal game of the Little League State Tournament...which we lost.  We cried.  Now everytime I hear it, I think of that and I cry. (PS:  I almost made it through this post without a reference to baseball...almost.)

A quote for today:
"Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?  I have heard you calling in the night.  I will go, Lord, if you lead me.  I will hold your people in my hands." - From the Hymnal at church.  I have no idea who wrote it, but it always reminds me of those brave people who go on mission trips (I am not one...yet.) and it always makes me cry.


A verse for today:
"I will remember the deeds of the Lord, yes; I will remember your miracles of long ago"
-Psalm 77:11

A peek into my day:
Missing you already, people.  The countdown begins and next time, we'll add a few.  Love. Love. Love y'all.


Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/



1 comment:

Love Bears All Things said...

What a wonderful way to spend a summer vacation...you're blessed that all your family could be together....praise for your son working with Habitat...my club members do this each year and it is so rewarding...loved the photos and your daybook.
Mama Bear