Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lots of Links on a Tuesday Daybook, September 17, 2013

Outside my window:
September in Virginia is too beautiful for words.
I am thinking:
about a Wednesday night with one baseball practice, two baseball games, one back to school night and one mama and one daddy and thankfully, a big ol' village of mamas and daddies and email traffic trying to figure it all out.
I am thankful:
for the mercy of a God who never gives up on us, who must be so saddened by our brokenness and yet wakes us today with a clear, blue, bright sky shining hope in a dark, disturbed world.  And for the grace of our God who gives us a conviction and purpose to dust off, stumble on, look up and try again.
In the kitchen:
there will be some crockpot action today.
I am wearing:
jeans and a JCrew navy and white striped shirt.  Y'all. There is 25% off at JCrew right now.  The whole stinkin' store, I think!  Squeal!!!
I am listening:
to the news about the Navy Yard shooting.  Oh, people.  In this world we do have trouble, huh?
I am reading:
Still reading Wonder by RJ Palacio to my kids when we can find evenings when all three are home. Also, continuing  Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.  It is such a bummer to me that this is a library book because I want to highlight about 80% of it.  It is a beautiful, funny, insightful book on Christianity.  If you are a lifelong-in-the-tank-for-Jesus Christian or if you are questioning and searching and aren't sure about Jesus, this might just be the book for everyone.  I'm only half way through and I can't tell you how many times I have sighed and said, "Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  That is my faith, that is my God, that is my Jesus.  Yes. That's what I'm talking about, Don!!"
I am going:
to likely write a whole post on Wonder and on Blue Like Jazz. I do believe the last post I devoted to a book was THIS ONE about the Memoirs of the great American novelist, Rob Lowe.  My reading tastes are a mystery, folks.
I am hoping:
to remember that all I ever need to say to my ball players is I love to watch you play. Read THIS, please.  And let me just go out on a limb and say, Daddies, read this, please.  Thanks to my friend, Elizabeth, who knows a thing or two (or nine) about watching kids play, for linking to it. 
I am looking forward to:
a golf tournament honoring Gavin Rupp on October 21st.  Wanna play?  Wanna volunteer?  Wanna contribute an auction item?  Let me know!
I am learning:
that there are things in this life that I can read about and study about and even experience over and over and over and I still will never ever understand.  Which brings me to:
A quote for today:
"I did not design the human mind to figure out the future.  That is beyond your capability.  I crafted your mind for continual communication with Me." - Jesus Calling
I am praying:
for the victims of the Navy Yard shooting and their families;  for a world full of broken, desperate, confused people;  that He might bring us hope.
On my Ipod:  
The most perfect song for today by Third Day: The Sun is Shining
I am pondering:
"My life testifies that the first thing I believe is that I am the most important person in the world . . . I am learning to believe better things.  I am learning to believe that other people exist, that fashion is not truth; rather, Jesus is the most important figure in history and the gospel is the most powerful force in the universe.  I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for justice, grace, truth, and communicate the idea that Jesus likes people and even loves them." -Donald Miller in Blue Like Jazz (emphasis, mine)
A verse for today:
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time" - 1 Peter 5:6
One of my favorite things:
when the little one and his teammates win five games in a row to take the championship at a tournament HERE and even though the big ones had losses, they still high five and hug and smile and are as proud as they could be of the little one.
A few plans for the week:
Reading Romans for Community Bible Study, baseball games, avoiding all the mirrors at Back to School Night at the Middle School. ( Remember last year?), and an away tourney for the middle man in Newport News, VA.
A peek into my day: 
Mom's got homework

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn!!! Love, Love, love blue like Jazz and everything else he's written!! :) And he's a fellow Texan..gotta love that!! :) That's how I found Bob Goff and of course I think I need to be on my way to Africa right now doing something BIG!!! :) Hope you are well!! Hoping to get to DC shortly..can you believe I haven't been back since we've been in Atlanta??! AHH!! Take care of your sweet self! Love the blog!! :) xoxo, Christy

Jenn said...

Oh my GOSH, Christy! I miss you something fierce! Love seeing photos or you and your mini-mes. How 'bout those Horns? or not. ugh. Come see me, girlie!!!