Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Daybook: November 11, 2013

Outside my window:
it's bright and sunny, but I'm waiting for the first number in the temperature to turn from a 3 to a 4 before I go out to run.
I am thinking:
about too much.  Way too much.  My mind is cluttered up and I need to take some time to unclutter it.  Maybe if the temperature will creep up, the run will clear my clutter.
I am thankful:
for all of our Veterans, especially for a man who I was not able to thank in person.  When I meet my father-in-law in heaven, I will thank him not only for the way he served his country, but for the way he loved and raised my husband in the seventeen years he spent with him.  Seventeen years is not nearly enough time, but somehow William Joe Skinner had enough time to pour into the man I married every little thing he needed to become the husband I needed and the father my children needed.  I am and will be forever thankful for this man.
.
I am wearing:
black running pants, running shoes, Gavin Rupp Open golf and/or running and/or sitting at your computer jacket.  I wear it constantly.   Nike and Under Amour are so last  year.  What you need is some Gavin Rupp/Kyle's Kamp swag. 
I am listening to:
Al Roker and Natalie Morales and my dishwasher.
In the kitchen:
someone sent me a photo of this book which is not officially in my kitchen . . . yet. (Don't click if you are offended by language with %#@ blocking out some of the letters, please.  I laughed, though.  Really hard.)
I am going:
to buy tickets for the George W. Bush Presidential Library for our visit to Texas for Thanksgiving.  I think the boys are going to like this exhibit.
I am reading:
Honestly, I am still working on Anne Frank.  It sits by my bed, but I've been collapsing into my bed lately, so haven't read it in a week.  I think I'll be reading a lot in the gym during basketball practice this week.
I am looking forward to:
basketball season
I am learning:
to apologize without giving the excuse of being too busy.  I was telling my kids the other day that saying Thank you is the most important thing to say in all the world.  I'm sorry is as important.  I'm sorry period.  If I have been out of touch with someone, if I have been preoccupied and really not listening to someone, I absolutely do not need to go into a long list of excuses about how busy I am.  It's rude and it's demeaning and it's NOT an apology.  I've got some people to apologize to this week and I need to say I'm sorry.  Period.  The end.
I am praying:
for clarity in the area of humility and self-confidence which Glennon Melton writes about beautifully in Carry On, Warrior
A quote for today:
"If we are humble without confidence, we miss the opportunity to become what we want to be when we grow up.  And if we are confident without humility, we miss out on becoming who we want to be when we grow up . . . I am confident because I believe I am a child of God.  I am humble because I believe that everyone else is, too."- Glennon Melton
I am wondering:
if anyone else who is watching Scandal is terrified that Olivia is going to spill all that red wine she drinks all over her fabulous white sweaters and her fabulous white furniture?  I'm more of a wreck about that than if Jake is going to get shot by Olivia's dad.
 
I am pondering:
a world without laundry.  Ladies, can we just sit with that for a minute?  It brings to mind the following song, which, to be honest, is actually not . .
On my Ipod:
A Whole New World.  I'm thinking that no laundry might just be a wonderful as taking a magic carpet ride with Aladdin.
A verse for today: (this seems like a good one to repeat as you walk out the door today)
"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace, the mountains and hills will burst into song before you and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." - Isaiah 55:12
One of my favorite things:
finding a photo of when the ball player was the bat boy.
A few plans for the week:
 a few lunch dates/meetings with a few of my favorite gals, basketball practices and preparing for going home to Texas, y'all!!!
A peek into my day: 
I am trying to figure out what to wear to the Texas game.  Burnt orange is not plentiful in my wardrobe.  In searching around the web today, I'm hoping to stop short of this.  I mean, I love my Longhorns, but I'm thinking this is a no, right?
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your father in law looks a lovely chap - a very noble and kind face. I'm so glad he managed to spend 17 years with your husband before he had to leave. He must have done a good job if you think to mention it now. I love the picture of the little guy with the bat. Too cute!