Monday, December 9, 2013

A Daybook on Ice: Monday, December 9, 2013

Outside my window:


I am thinking:
about how lucky I am that I waited until today to decorate the house for Christmas, a day in which three little worker elves just dropped right into my lap this morning when school was cancelled.
I am thankful:
for the blessing of a Sunday snow/ice storm which cancelled all activities except for church, lunch and sitting in my bed reading, napping and watching Nashville, Grey's Anatomy and Scandal.  I might need to reintroduce myself to my family this morning.
In the kitchen:
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.  I'm a hero among the children right now.  A hero, I tell you.
I am wearing:
snowman pj pants and a white tshirt
I am listening to:
Steve turning the pages of the newspaper, the silence of sleeping boys.
I am going:
to have to hit the treadmill.  I loathe the treadmill because 1/2 of a mile on the treadmill feels like 20 miles outside.  The problem is that even if a girl doesn't really want to run, if a girl gets herself far enough away from the house outside, a girl has no choice but to turn around and make her way back home.  On a treadmill, a girl has many choices including hitting that "off" button after 2.5 minutes and just making her way to the couch. 
I am reading:
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
I am hoping:
that the Winter Wonderland moves out of here tomorrow.  Two days will be plenty, thank you.
I am looking forward to:
seeing The Story Tour tomorrow night and The Nutcracker on Friday night. 
I am learning:
how very blessed I have been by the readers of this blog, some who are old friends and some whom I have never and may never meet, opening up to me in messages and emails.  I am learning that you really can never know how deep and dark is the valley that someone might be walking through and that when you find out you might be stunned that some of the most faithful, strongest, most compassionate people in the world have been hurt deeply by the hand they have been dealt.  Often we know that those who have been hurt, hurt others.  And we try hard to be understanding about that.  I am learning that sometimes those who have been hurt, remarkably, just keep loving others and forgiving others and walking in determined hope all the while trusting that God's plan is perfect.  I am learning that the healing power of God is real and that it lives inside seemingly ordinary men and women who wake up every day and make an intentional choice to simply believe.
I am praying:
for every single pair of eyes that reads this blog.  Thank you for the blessing you are to me.
On my Ipod:
THIS. It is not on my Ipod.  THIS is a friend of mine from high school and her daughter singing I Hope You're the End of My Story and I have listened to THIS about fifteen times since Kelly posted it yesterday.  THIS is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, sung by two of the sweetest voices I've ever heard.  You can click on any of those "thises" above.  I just want to make sure you do, so I gave you lots of chances.  Stunning, ladies.
I am wondering:
if I can break my usual snowstorm habit which often involves eating my weight in nachos. 
I am pondering:
THIS article which reminds us of how very difficult this season can be for many and unfortunately, how very many struggle in every season.
A quote for today:
"I cannot save and sanctify myself.  I cannot atone for sin;  I cannot redeem the world;  I cannot make right what is wrong, pure what is impure, holy what is unholy.  That is all the sovereign work of God.  Have I faith in what Jesus Christ has done?  He has made a perfect Atonement, am I in the habit of constantly realizing it?  The great need is not to do things, but to believe things." - Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest
A verse for today:
"Come unto Me." - Matthew 11:28
One of my favorite things:
free shipping
A few plans for the week:
a visit to the Pediatric Cancer clinic, a Nutcracker performance by some of my favorite girlies and a super basketball player turned Prince, decorating for Christmas finally and making some lists and checking them twice.
A peek into my day: 

 

No comments: