Monday, December 23, 2013

Where the Yellow Brick Road Should Have Led

photo credit:  Children's National Medical Center

Dear Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion,

You're gonna need a new GPS because the yellow brick road led you folks to the wrong place.  If you are looking for brains, hearts and courage, I have found your destination.  And it's not called Oz.  It's called Children's National Medical Center.  What you will find there is much scarier than flying monkeys and wicked witches.  More importantly, though, you will find that the people who are facing these scary things, at first glance, look quite ordinary. Quickly, you will learn that these ordinary men, women and children have extraordinary amounts of brains, heart and courage.  So extraordinary that it will take your breath away.

As a new member of Kyle's Kamp, I was invited recently to take a tour of the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC.  Kyle's Kamp has and will continue to raise money to fund research, medical care and family support programs at Children's.

This is the first thing I can tell you about receiving the invitation.  I was honored.  The second thing I can tell you is that the invitation said  Attire:  Business Professional.  Well, that was a bit stressful since I haven't worked in an office setting in nineteen years. The last time I wore business professional attire would be an era known as Jenn Skinner:  The Marilyn Quayle Years.  Anyway, I figured out what to wear and we went on our way.

READ THE REST HERE.

No comments: