Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summer Evening Daybook: June 10, 2014

Outside my window:
it's humid and sticky and looks like a storm might be on its way..
I am thinking:
about writer's block and about my writer's block specifically.  My writing is blocked by laundry and grocery store shopping and putting off cooking and needing to exercise, and making phone calls for new carpet estimates and power washing and picking up prescriptions and following up on my volunteer work.  It's blocked by sitting with Drew and looking at his yearbook and convincing the boys to watch Frozen with me and encouraging Joe as he studies for final exams.  I suppose my writing is blocked by life.  A life that I love.  Sometimes I imagine that if I didn't have all of this life to live I would be writing chapter upon chapter of novels and essays and I would becoming a real life writer and creating masterpieces.  And then I remember that I'd have not one thing to write about if not for this life and these three little masterpieces God has given me. Not a darn thing.  Whatever form my writing takes in this season of my life is the form I guess it will take.  I better enjoy the blocks in whatever form they take.
I am thankful:
for one week left of wondering what in the world I am going to pack for their lunches all the while praying that there will not be some sort of Dateline/20/20/PrimeTime news shows going undercover to check out the nutritional content of the lunch boxes of suburban children in America.
In the kitchen:
there's a very long grocery list of what is not in the kitchen.
I am wearing:
khaki shorts, striped blue and white tshirt, flipflops
I am listening to:
birds chirping outside of my screened in porch and kiddos jumping on a trampoline.
I am reading:
I finished The One and Only by Emily Giffin and it was a good pick for getting me into actually being able to read again.  I almost forgot how to turn the pages of a book.
I am going:
to the library because based on the fact that I actually finished a whole book for the first time in months, apparently I do know how to read.  I was sad that when I checked online earlier I noticed that Love Life by Rob Lowe is checked out all over the county. Apparently, there are other folks out there who have discovered his genius.  I think I'm going with another Emily Giffin book.
I am hoping:
for big wins for the Texas Longhorns as they go to Omaha for the College World Series. I don't love watching baseball on TV, but if there are some boys in burnt orange playing, I'm in.  Hook 'Em Horns.
I am looking forward to:
Pool days with the boys of summer.
I am learning:
that each time I visit the Children's Clinic to do crafts and play games with the cancer patients, my questions to God will multiply, my prayer list will grow longer and my heart will be filled equally with joy and gratitude and with fear and anger .  And I am learning that sometimes there will be that one kid.  That one whose sweet smile will consume my mind for hours and probably days and weeks after I see it.  That one whose perfectly beautiful face will take up residence in my soul.  That one who I know in mere minutes of our meeting will leave a scar on my heart that will never fade.
I am praying:
for that blue eyed boy with a smattering of freckles on his nose and a killer smile who is a fighter of immeasurable courage and who kicked my butt a Connect Four about 15 times in a row.
On my Ipod:
Multiplied by NeedtoBreathe.  I started my run today with a heavy heart thinking of my new friend.  Frankly, I was kinda mad at God and I was talking to Him about how mad I was.  Then this song came on and I remembered that when I feel He is far away, I must remember this:
A quote for today:
"...Your love will surely come find us like blazing wildfire, singing your name. God of mercy, sweet love of mine, I have surrendered to Your design.  May this offering stretch across the sky.  These Hallelujahs be multiplied." - Multiplied by NeedtoBreathe
I am wondering:
if this might be the summer that I will be the mother I always envisioned I would be:  sharing lazy summer afternoons on the porch with my boys where we are all reading classic literature.  Yea.  I know. As my husband would say, "And what color is the sky in your world?"
I am pondering:
which kids I can take to see The Fault in Our Stars.  I know the 9 year old is too little, but I'm pondering the 13 year old and the 15 year old?  Anyone have an opinion?
A verse for today:
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you.  He will not leave you nor forsake you." -Deuteronomy 31:6
One of my favorite things:
Flip flops for $2.50 a pair at Old Navy and the flip flop tan that goes with it.  It's summer, people!!

A few plans for the week:
The JV/Varsity Baseball banquet, some AllStar baseball practices, a few or ten baseball games, praying like crazy for a freshman taking finals and THE END IS NEAR, friends.  No more packing lunches and worrying if there are clean socks for everyone!  SUMMER TIME!

Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: