Wednesday, July 16, 2014

On the Porch Again Late Daybook: Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Outside my window:
It's evening and something like 75 degrees which is crazy wonderful.
I am thinking:
about Alex, who I met last month and wrote about HERE.  And I am thinking about the fact that the boys and I were supposed to spend all week at Vacation Bible School and then Drew got a fever and a wrench was put in my carefully laid out plans because I had to drop Joe and Kyle at church and make a last minute doctor appointment and then spend a beautiful, sunny day at home on the couch when I would have rather taken everyone to the pool after VBS.  I was thinking about how that little wrinkle in the day disturbed me so and then I read this from Alex's mom's blog yesterday:
"Oh how we long for the days when the boys could just be boys.  Sometimes I feel a little bitter and jealous of others who get to just plan trips or little playdates without the thoughts of "what if we have to go to the hospital", "what if Alex gets a fever", "have they been sick", "are his counts ok", "can he eat that" etc.  Alex has his first break today in 12 days without having to go to either the hospital or clinic for counts.  And while I know I should be thankful that we are not in the hospital and that we can come home everyday, part of me is also angry that while so many kids are going to camps, having sleepovers, going on vacation, our boys' summer schedule is revolving around cancer and its relentless and seemingly endless treatments."
I am thinking that I had two days of a minor virus in my home.  TWO DAYS.  Alex and his family have been dealing with his cancer for FIVE years.  I am thinking that I should be on my knees in thanks for the minor disruption in my plan and pleading prayer for my new friend and his family.
I am thankful:
for teenagers who defy the stereotype of being disengaged and selfish and who are instead, interested and compassionate and responsible.  I have two high school aged youth helpers at VBS this week who unexpectedly had to take over my group of eleven children due to Drew's sickness. They did not blink when I told them I couldn't stay for the morning.  They only had concern to ask about my boy and tell me they would be just fine.  Teenagers are not all surly and uncommunicative and eye-roll-y.  For me, it might just be true what Jen Hatmaker said HERE, "Teenagers are my JAM."
In the kitchen:
We ate there tonight.  At the table.  There was protein.  There was a vegetable.  There were napkins and place mats.  There was grace said and laughing and sharing and fun.  And then there was that one part when someone called someone else an idiot and then that someone smacked the other someone in the arm and then someone got sent to his room.   Really, what do you want from me, anyway?
I am wearing:
green Nike running shorts, black Nike running tank top and new Nike running shoes which unfortunately did not make me faster today.  At all. Sigh.
I am listening to:
Boys playing basketball in the driveway.
I am going:
to have to start reading the packing list for Kyle's baseball camp and Joe's mission trip.  They leave this weekend.  It's time to lock in, Mama.
I am reading:
I finished Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan.  (LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT) If you have a mother, if you are a mother, read it. 
I am hoping:
that Drew and I can return to VBS tomorrow.  He seems to be on the mend, so I'm hoping.
I am looking forward to:
A little one on one time with Drew while his brothers are away next week.
I am learning:
that you cannot MAKE a child love to read.  And that lesson might just kill me.
I am praying:
For my friend Kathleen and her family.  It seems that my friend might be losing time quickly with her beloved daddy.  It appears that her family is doing everything they can to surround this man with so much grace and so much affection that I am certain he must be overwhelmed with the realization of how very much he is loved.  And so I am praying tonight that Kathleen and her family and all those who are grieving will know that no matter their pain, no matter their fear, no matter their confusion, our God loves them so very much.  Even more than how much they love the one they might lose or the one they have lost.  Even more than that.  What a gift it is to love and be loved.  And since God is love, what a gift is He?  I pray for my friends to feel it.  I am praying so hard.
On my Ipod:
How He Loves Us by David Crowder Band
A quote for today:
"It occurs to me that maybe the reason my mother was so exhausted all the time wasn't because she was doing so much, but because she was feeling so much." - Kelly Corrigan, Glitter and Glue
I am pondering:
How I can write of faith all day and I can read other writers' words about faith all day.  And I will never come close to finding the comfort there that I find in the words in the same Bible I have had since I was a child.  There was a day some years ago when I was overwhelmed with fear for someone I love deeply.  I was as sure as I could be that I would not see this person again on Earth, no matter how hard I prayed for God to save.  I was deathly afraid and I sat by the lake and looked out at its glassy water and tried to make sense of what might happen.  I was studying the Gospel of John at the time and a verse came to mind that immediately settled my soul and made me know, that this person I loved, no matter what happened, was going to be just fine.  My friend, Kathleen, posted that very verse on Facebook last night:
A verse for today:
14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” - John 14:1-4
One of my favorite things:
Getting this in the mail and knowing "it just got real" around here.  #teammathias

A few plans for the week:
a meeting with my Kyle's Kamp people after a very long stretch of no meetings, Vacation Bible School, preparation for Kyle's baseball camp and Joe's mission trip, an orthodontist visit, a baseball game, a going away party and maybe a Washington Nationals game.
A peek into my day: 
Well, it is late and I have just come in off the peaceful porch and it appears that this is what will happen in the rest of my day. 


Daybook idea from www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: