Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday Afternoon Daybook: September 23, 2014

Outside my window:
it's bright and sunny and cool.
I am thinking:
about Gwen Stefani on The Voice last night and about her red lipstick.
I am thankful:
for the blessing of a friend who will participate in my version of "Monday Morning Quarterbacking"  A friend who will cover some very serious topics from acceptance to forgiveness to perspectives on God's intent and purpose for our lives, to the struggle for peace in the midst of the confusion of not knowing what the future holds.  A friend who can keep all these "conversations" going while I am in between a manicure, a trip to the car wash and waiting on my kids to get out of the dentist's chair.  I am thankful for God putting friends in my life who are brave and challenging and thoughtful and smart.  For friends who are working hard to believe He wants the very best for us and for hashing it all out with me.  So very thankful.
In the kitchen:
my grandmother's recipe for chicken spaghetti on the stove.
I am wearing:
green Nike Running shorts, black Nike running tank, long sleeve black Nike running jacket.
I am listening to:
the washing machine and The Oh Hello's on my Ipod
I am reading:
While the kids were seeing the dentist yesterday I finished Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls.  Not as riveting as her The Glass Castle, but still pretty good.  Last night I started Rare Bird by Anna Whitson-Donaldson, a memoir by a local mom who lost her son in a tragic accident three years ago.  I wrote about her story here.
I am praying:
for all the kiddos and families I met at the Curefest for Childhood Cancer events in DC this weekend. Too many beautiful kids, too many fearful families, too little money for research.  I am also giving prayers of thanks for these dedicated friends, Randi and Jenni, and for our generous, incredibly humble leader, Rob Hahne and his family which includes a very strong, very brave, very big hearted kid named Kyle.


I am hoping:
that the impact of many little, but fierce voices will be heard by the most powerful people in Washington DC.  Many of these voices belong to children fighting cancer who are being given the same medicines that were given to children in the 1950s.  It's criminal, really.  I missed this part of the weekend, but am so thankful that cancer fighter, Alex's mom, Jenni,  captured this moment when children and families lit the sky gold in front of the White House in an effort to raise awareness for the woefully inept amount of federal funding received for research for children's cancers.


A verse for today:
"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor.  For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone?  And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart."  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
On my Ipod:
I Have Made Mistakes by The Oh Hello's
I am learning:
to recognize that even though my boys are not hanging on my arm and and sitting on my lap anymore,  they need me to be as present now as I was back when they were toddlers.  I have lots of things I want to do now that a new season in life has opened up for me, but I am learning how much they need me and even more how much I need them.  There are days and nights that I want to lock myself in a Starbucks and write until my fingers bleed, so great is my want for writing.  But, I need to be their mom and remember that this profession is not completed.  I am also learning that my writing is easier and always better when it is informed by my role as a mother.  I should and will do many new things for me and for my heart and for my future, but my guys are only here a short time.  I need to be their mother first.  Always.
I am wondering:
just how long Blue Ridge, the fish, will hang on.  Yes, he is still with us, lounging on his rocks, coming up to eat twice a day and floating back to the rocks.  I'm pretty sure he's blind, so when he goes up to get his food it's really hit or miss.  Like shooting fish in a barrel so to speak.
I am pondering:
why the Dr. Perricone's Sciency turkey neck facial product I bought has to smell so bad.  I suppose that kale doesn't smell like chocolate chip cookies because it is in the business of doing serious work for my body.  Perhaps this is what the Dr. Perricone philosophy is also.  The Cold Plasma D came with a science lab type dropper and it kinda smells like dead fish.  Not that I would know what dead fish smell like based on our previously mentioned betta fish that might outlive every last one of us.
One of my favorite things:
A couple of little survivors with big time courage: Kyle and Sabrina, at CureFest.


A few plans for the week:
Joe puts the golf clubs away for awhile and picks up the bat and glove, the other two kids' teams are playing in the same local baseball tournament this weekend and I am getting all set for the Gavin Rupp Open on Monday.
A peek into my day:
Working on assignments for the wonderful, generous, enthusiastic volunteers I have for the 2nd Annual Gavin Rupp Open.  Only one more week!




Daybook idea from http://www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

No comments: